Schneider P5 or Rock Creek 5R?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by slickyboyboo, Nov 9, 2011.

1. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Well-Known Member

Which barrel would you use for a custom built hunting rifle?

2. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Hart, Bartlien, Krieger, or Spencer.

3. slickyboyboo

Reference the title, none you listed were choices.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

My next barrel, gonna have ta rebarrel shortly, will be the Schneider polygonal, I suppose that could be the P5 if they make one that will finish 30" and fluted.

If not it'll be a Pac Nor polygonal.

5. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Rock Creek in every respect.
    Cut rifled, radiused lands.

Schneider 'polygonal' is nothing but radiused lands. Or,, worn button.
    Wouldn't surprise me from Schneider..

6. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

I am very happy with my Rock Creek. I have a 30" on my 338edge. It shoots better than me and broke in and cleans very easily. I have a pic of my 338edge with the barrel in the gun photos forum.
    Bob

7. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Forgive me for offering another option or my opinion.

8. slickyboyboo

No harm done, I have just done my research, and had already eliminated your suggestions off my list, and am down to 2 choices. That way it makes it a tad more simple, choice #1 or #2.

9. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Is Rock Creek still at the top of your list amongst all of the competing barrel manufacturers - at large? Just wondering.

10. Blackhawk95

Blackhawk95 Member

Ive had great results from Broughton 5C barrels, Krieger and Brux. and by the way Ill never by another Lilja.

11. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

No Phorwath, Krieger and Borden are at the top of my list.
    But I have never seen a bad report on Rock Creek barrels, and they're cut rifled(which should be rewarded).

I have seen personally, Schneider as incapable of getting a barrel order correct, and in demonstrating very poor professional standards and business ethics.
    With this, I wouldn't stop to urinate on a Schneider(if it were free)..

So I vote RC

12. slickyboyboo

Got a friend that built a custom with a Lilja, he could only get 3"-4" groups at 100, sent it back to Dan, and he didn't want to replace it. It was a huge hassle to get a new barrel. I won't ever own one.

13. Blackhawk95

Blackhawk95 Member

thats pretty much my same story. he tried to blame it on every thing but his crappy barrel. replaced it with a Broughton and have 0 problems since. If thats how he runs his business i cant belive he is still in business.. on top of that he's real jerk too.

14. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Harts, but I recently built a hunting rifle in 243-06 Imp. Light varmint, 8 twist finished at 26". The photo is one of my first groups at 100 with 105 A-max's and Ramshot Powder. I threw the 5th shot up, but it still went 1/2". The first 4 went in the .3's. Top two holes were a 105 Amax and 100 gr Sierra test. The 105 Amax would have dropped right in there if I shot at my previous group.

I've used Hart, Douglas, Shilen, Bartlein, Rock Creek and even an Adams & Benett. The Rock Creek is one of my top shooters in my hunting rifles.

Attached Files: