Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.5-6x42

Pete Lincoln

Well ElwoodB and me have been discussing scopes over several weeks and he managed to snatch a deal with a bloke in a swap for a price that was irresistable. despite my leg pulling comments of " the shape of a queer french wine bottle,( i must admit, i liked the classic shape better) he ended up with a S&B zenith 1.5-6x42 flash dot.
All this talk got me interested in playing with such a scope, i've had designs on a 1.5-6x42 for driven boar and general stalking for a while.
A Forest ranger mate of mine has a zenith in the same configuration exept its got the rail mount on the scope, I borrowed this early last week and set it up mounted to the badger rail on my 30-06 using EAW ring lowers and male dove tail pieces for the scope rail,
I took the rifle to the range to zero in, it proved absolutely spot on in the adjustment test, adjusting the POI exactly as it should.
The scope has a left side mounted reticle illumination control, the first few settings are for low light, night time use, the next few, are for use during day light, giving you what amounts to an aimpoint type red dot in a conventional scope. I used the scope set on the maximum 11. In absolutely awfull pouring rain, fog and dull conditions.
I fired 4 shots at running game yesterday, 2 with the reticle on and 2 using the scope as a normal scope, reticle off. Well i connected excellent shot placement on a nice sized boar and a roe doe, i found that the flash dot was absolutely superb to use, it is immediately apparent, fast and easy to place in the right spot on running game.
With the reticle off i found using the scope in traditional fashion no where near as easy. That flash dot is a real advantage for a driven game scenario.
A red stag at a full gallop topped of the bag this morning.
I can highly recomend this scope and the flash dot reticle system. So anyone looking for a low power, general stalking and driven game optical device, put the S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 on your list.

Sorry guys, it rained so much i was scared to get my digital camera out to take photo's.
regards Pete

I reckon you've got some kind of deal with Smutt & Bendit, either that, or they've got something on you and are forcing you to positively promote their products /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Ian,
I have a buddy who calls them Schitt I Bent-it's, sorry Pete, had to bug you with that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
They are nice scopes, I just wish I could figure which way to turn the turrets from the words engraved on them. Also wish I could hunt as much as Pete!

Ian M, i call em [censored] and bendover.. the turrets go the other way to leupods and H = Hoch,, oposite way moves it down. to move the impact up. L = Links or left, to move it left, opposite way moves it right. the M means middle of the range of adjustment. PMIIs are marked in English. I maybe hunt a lot, but i'd swap a season with you to be able to hunt some of the game and ground you hunt.

Ian, no skeletons in my S&B cupboard mate, no back handers either, i get my S&B scopes for my own personal use direct from S&B at what amounts to trade price, i do get a personal service, but then they get a lot of R&D input from me. But i won't say something is good if it isn't and the S&B scopes are the very best there is, they could be better, ive some ideas and i'm badgering S&B for what i know the market wants.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.