schmidt & bender Precision hunter

SHW

I am having another 300 rum built: Stiller action, Kreiger #5 & McMillian. I am considering a S&B precision hunter with P3 mil-dot. I will use it from 50 to 600 yards. Mostly whitetails & paper.

I have little experience with S&B's, but know of their reputation. I want excellent low light performance & precision adjustments. How will this model be & all opinions appreciated. I was considering Nightforce, but am somewhat concerned with low light performance.

[ QUOTE ]
I am considering a S&B precision hunter with P3 mil-dot. I will use it from 50 to 600 yards. Mostly whitetails & paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend that you specify S&Bs P3 'Fine' ....they don't show it in any of their literature, but it exists.....had I known of it I would have had it in my PM2; the standard P3 is a little thicker than I would recommend for paper at longer ranges.

...also, not an expert on the precision hunters, but (were I buying one) I would only be looking at the 4-16 - I believe it's the only model with side parallax.

...as an afterthought, I must say that I would choose a PM2 over a PH....don't think there's a significant weight difference.

I love my 4-16x50 pm2 with fine reticle, I have the Klien which has half mill hash marks, very useful. For low light I wish I had gone for the illuminated one though. It would give a little help for the last 10 mins of night or if using a lamp (where this is legal).

Divide the cost over 20 to 30 yrs and it's cheap pleasure!

it is great hunting reticle and does ok for paper a little thick but works fine you can center the 4-16 on a coke can @ 450 yds .i have the ill pm2 makes all my other glass look bad i dont regret it a bit . the ffp takes a little getting used to but i love it now.
dsmpics054.jpg

After talking to the Schmidt rep, he reccommended the 3x12 precision hunter. More adjustment than the 4x16, but the biggest reason is availabilty. Put a 3x12 P3 fine on order, but I may have to settle for the reg. P3. I will use this a lot more for hunting than paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.