Schmidt and Bender vs. Nightforce

SUNDEVIL

I have only Leupold and Nightforce scopes at this point. I have been toying with the idea of a S&B 5-25. Is the S&B worth twice as much as the Nightforce?:cool:

The new 5x25 S&B is an awesome scope, but it will cost around $2900 to $3000. I would stick with the Nightforce NXS. They're cheaper, and IMO I think they're better.

W.

Last edited:
Ok Wildcat, I'll "bight." :D The word is "they're," not "there."

You're just trying to get a rise out of us, right? ;)

LewisH, I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone. I think the NF scopes are better because of the price. I know the S&B scopes are a cut above the rest, I just don't want to pay $3000 for a scope. I already pay $1700 for my NF NXS scopes, and I can't justify spending another $1300 on a scope. IMO, I don't think the S&B, at $3000, is that much better than a NF NXS. However, I might be wrong.

Also, everything I buy, I try to buy American. I want to keep my $$$ in the US. The only thing I currently buy, that's not American, is Brass and Powder. I use Lapua Brass and Vhit powder. If someone in the US made quality brass like Lapua, I would buy it.

W.

Without even talking about glass quality, etc, it's really not a fair "vs." argument because the scopes are so different in style and features; many of those choices come down to personal preference so there really is no "better" one. A more fair comparison will be possible fairly soon when Nightforce comes out with FFP.

Right now, if you want SFP with MOA clicks you're going to want the Nightforce regardless of if its glass is as good or whatever because it'll just fit you better. If you want FFP and prefer .1 Mil clicks, single turn knobs, etc, you wouldn't even consider the NF. Not yet anyway, let's see what their FFP looks like--it might steal some S&B sales!

Ummmmm Wildcat. How does a scope like the NXS NF qualify for buy American when is says Made in Japan on the bottom of scope:eek:. I have one and it is nice scope. I also have Leupolds and S & B's. They are all good quality scopes but I think the Leupold is the only one made in the good ole USA.:D

Last edited:
I own a S+B pm II in 3-12x50 and i dont believe you can buy a better scope. The glass is amazing and it stands up to any abuse i can dish out! Get what you pay for i reckon! Like anything in life ;)

I have on loan one of the 5-25 S&B's (wow) 34 mm tube. I will cry (a little bit maybe;)) when it comes time to send it off.
I have yet to compare it with NF's at the same power.
When NF's FFP comes out it will be an interesting comparison.

As an alternative ---- look at the USO stuff... I have 4 SB PMII's and the same number of USO's and IMHO the USO's are the better of the two but it is so close that given what the Euro is doing the S&B is just too expensive compared to the USO. The dollar falling has really made buying Euro Glass a challenge..

Scopes

i'm new to this site,but i've owned the best scopes money can buy and i believe that the S&B scopes are hands down the best money can buy.i currently use NF NSX and S&B scopes.in terms of price and variety the NSX scopes are best.but when it comes to optics clarity,the S&B are the best.

come on now...

Ummmmm Wildcat. How does a scope like the NXS NF qualify for buy American when is says Made in Japan on the bottom of scope:eek:. I have one and it is nice scope. I also have Leupolds and S & B's. They are all good quality scopes but I think the Leupold is the only one made in the good ole USA.:D

LOL the tube body and the glass are the only things made in Japan, they do all the hand fitting and such in Idaho. You cant really compare them to a mass produces piece like loopys, well i guess some can. I have several and i love them. I ran a short dot for a while: "gift" and i sold it and bought a 1x4 for my carbine. But loopy american made.... what or how is it all the parts are made in timbuck, who knows. they dump all the pieces in a machine and push start. Now the old loopys i wouldent sell mine for anything. Corprate loopy= High end Tasco. Take a flashlight and look inside any loopygun):eek:

LOL the tube body and the glass are the only things made in Japan, they do all the hand fitting and such in Idaho. You cant really compare them to a mass produces piece like loopys, well i guess some can. I have several and i love them. I ran a short dot for a while: "gift" and i sold it and bought a 1x4 for my carbine. But loopy american made.... what or how is it all the parts are made in timbuck, who knows. they dump all the pieces in a machine and push start. Now the old loopys i wouldent sell mine for anything. Corprate loopy= High end Tasco. Take a flashlight and look inside any loopygun):eek:

Sparkie,
I have a 416 Barrett that had a NF 8-32x56 NXS Mounted on it. Key word here is "HAD". On the 15th shot out of my Barrett the front lense on the scope shattered. Must have been a bad day in Japan when the glass was made or a worse day in Idaho when quality control allowed this sub standard piece of glass to be installed on the scope. Either way it failed after a short period in service. I replaced the NF with a Mark 4 8.5-25x50
and 200 rounds later it is still running strong, push started or not. Can dial in a long shot go back to zero and it is still dead on.

I am not here to bash any scope. I use Nightforce, Leupold, and Schmidt & Bender. All 3 are excellent scopes and each scope has its place. All I know is the NF's place was not on top of my 416. Have had no problem with them on other rifles.

Time for the flashlight test (I will use a mini mag here)

Leupold first: Nice scope, well built, Nice

Schmidt & Bender: Wow!!! Great scope, Great quality.

Nightforce: Oh ****!!! Dropped the minimag down the tube. Ok got it out.
nice, well built, all except for that front piece of glass.

Tasco: Hmmmm??? Dont have one to check and never will.

:D:D BTW you missed Sparkie better check your elevation. :D

yea...

Well you are a truely amazing Guy then,
Niightforce has been used on everything from a 218 bee on up to some crazy guy using one on a 12.5 russian. Now a key thing to your ranting is why did'nt you post pics up of this amazing catrostrophic failure? since it would be the absolute first in the Know existance of that company. Cause from doing a large search through almost every website doing reviews there is nothing remotely close. Second " a multi lens objective shattering like that ....... "Hey Turbo it doesent happen that way" But you can go bust it out now with a pick or somthing to prove a point. I love my short Dot on my carbine but the thing was i sold it and bought a NF and a range finder. Sb are great scopes. the price for what you get not so much, just like IOR. Now old loopys they were great pieces, But im sure you know this Loopy is now a Corperation. and it seems alot of their QC has went down hill but hey you and your BIG HUGE 416 Broke what a anti aircraft gun coudent. You should write a book. So back to this thread SB vrs NF opticaly i would say even. price way off. so why spend an additional grand for somthing just as good.light bulb

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.