Scenar bullet failure! No really, it was bad.

Re: Scenar bullet failure again and ? MK\'s

My question for all. You do reliaze that when a bullet tumbles it creates a HUGE wound cavity right? Why do you care whether it retains 90% of its weight, mushrooms to 2x diameter, or penetrates hardened steel, if it leaves 6 inch exit wounds consistantly, (IN ANIMALS)?

Do you think this is indicitive of a bullet that doesnt cause tissue damage?
Scan0014_00142.jpg

Charles, we are aware that tumbling bullets can be devastating to an animal. The problem with the Scenars is that they don't tumble every time. Sometimes they traveled 16 to 20 inches before they even started to tumble, sometimes not at all. It seems inappropriate to shoot a big game animal with a round that you are just hoping that it will tumble and not pencil through.---7mmRHB

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I personally, would never shoot a 250 gr Scenar at anything that might get ****ed off at me for doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ---7mmRHB

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I get to tell my Accubond story for the 10th time. I called Nosler complaining they no longer made BT's for my 375 RUM. The response, "we don't want anymore customers ****ing off cape Buffalo's. Use the AC, it has the same BC as the BT"

[ QUOTE ]
Charles, we are aware that tumbling bullets can be devastating to an animal. The problem with the Scenars is that they don't tumble every time. Sometimes they traveled 16 to 20 inches before they even started to tumble, sometimes not at all. It seems inappropriate to shoot a big game animal with a round that you are just hoping that it will tumble and not pencil through.---7mmRHB

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger. Meant it more for people questioning SMK's. I havent used scenars, so have no basis to comment on them.

[ QUOTE ]
Charles, we are aware that tumbling bullets can be devastating to an animal. The problem with the Scenars is that they don't tumble every time.7mmRHB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! It is easier to find a bullet that is almost always guarranteed to open up, than it is one to always tumble.

BIG BORE That is funny!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guys you are missing the point here. SMKs and Scenars are sniper bullets. Even though they have a tiny hollow point at the tip they are specifically designed not to mushroom. That way they are legal for shooting bad guys. Hague Convention says no "dum dums". Hollow points are not legal for shooting bad guys if they are foreigners i.e. enemy troops. Cops can use them on bad guys here at least in some jurisdictions but military cannot. The SMKs say right on the box "not recommended for hunting"

Dirty Dave

P.S. For some mysterious reason that tiny hollow point improves ballistics. That's the only reason it's there.

My results with the 1 scenar I shot a deer with were about the same, on impact the nose of the bullet broke off, the core and jacket cup separated, and were recovered just under the hide on the top edge of the off shoulder.
The POI was just in front of the hip joint on a whitetail doe which was bedded down, range was 781 yards, impact velocity was around 2200 fps. fired from my 6.5, the fragments of the 139 gr scenar weighed 75 gr. a fuzzy pic.
scenar.jpg

RR

Guys you are missing the point here. SMKs and Scenars are sniper bullets. Even though they have a tiny hollow point at the tip they are specifically designed not to mushroom. That way they are legal for shooting bad guys. Hague Convention says no "dum dums". Hollow points are not legal for shooting bad guys if they are foreigners i.e. enemy troops. Cops can use them on bad guys here at least in some jurisdictions but military cannot. The SMKs say right on the box "not recommended for hunting"

Dirty Dave

P.S. For some mysterious reason that tiny hollow point improves ballistics. That's the only reason it's there.

Dave,

Just a slight correction here; the hollow points are simply the unavoidable result of the manufacturing process. If the nose could be (economically) closed completely, that's what they'd be doing. As it is, there has been several aftermarket attempts by folks like Col. Marty Fackler, MD, and even Lake City to close those tips, which actually does (ever so slightly) improve ballistics. In short, even though they are "open tip" bullets, they behave like FMJs in tissue. This is why these bullets are legal under the laws of land warfare, and have been certified as such by our own JAG. With those minor corrections, your comments were dead on; they aren't designed to mushroom.

Berger has their line of .338" bullets coming out in the next few months. Made with thinner jackets than the SMK, I'll bet they'd answer most of the problem seen here, with superb accuracy to boot.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Kevin ole buddy, since you brought up the 338 bullets, exactly when can we put the 3 yr old rumor to rest about when we'll be able to get ahold of some?

Hey Dave,
Yeah, they're coming! We're looking at sometime around July/August if all goes well. These required us to add a new (bigger) press, and it's almost complete. A little debugging after the initial set up, and you should see some bright yellow boxes with big bullets in them shortly after.

Now is that what you wanted to hear?:)

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Kevin, thanks, i'm just one of the 338 lynch mob i warned Bryan about a while back. any way i could get ahold of some 250 grainers to do some terminal testing? i'm not a bench shooter, just hunt long range and always test my bullets at 500 and 1k before using them.

Kevin, thanks, i'm just one of the 338 lynch mob i warned Bryan about a while back. any way i could get ahold of some 250 grainers to do some terminal testing? i'm not a bench shooter, just hunt long range and always test my bullets at 500 and 1k before using them.

Hi Dave, (and others)

Have you tried the 338 cal Hornady 250 grain BTHP Match bullet? The pictures I posted above are from a large Sambar Stag that I shot last week. The bullet made a small entrance hole, put a 3 inch hole through its shoulder, a 5 inch hole right through its chest and a small portion of bullet lodged under the skin on the other side. Very impressive preformance.

A week before that I shot a Hind with the same type of bullet with similar results.

I have herd that some people have been having trouble getting suitable accuracy from this projectile but it shoots great in my rifle.

If you are after a 250 grain bullet then give them a try!

Maybe not the bullet's fault...

And here is another one that skimmed the top of the phonebooks and was laying on top of the burm about 20 yards behind the box. Still no mushroom!
If it skimmed the phone books and only traveled 20 yards, it sounds like the velocity has dropped to be too slow to be effective.
Incidentally, the velo of this bullet at 1000 yards is actually about 1984 feet per second.
That sounds very unrealistic considering the bullet that skimmed the phone books only traveled 20 yards after deflecting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts