Scardee cats crack me up....

wrong,wrong,wrong,
cape buffalo,lions,and all big cats,polar bear,grizzlies,and many more are all major (people killers/eaters)..I,ve been close enough to grizzlies to smell ther breath and look deep into there eyes before shooting them with my 338/378 wby. mag or 416 wby. mag. and at that time i was glad it wasnt a 30/30 marlin.
Can you kill these animals with the a 30/30 ,,,,,(yes) but sooner than later you will be a meal..THICK SKINNED ANIMALS need heavy bullets to anchor them,
I do agree with you on one thing..baiting animals ...in my opinion it should be done away with...All hunting should be done the natural way (one on one) with your feet on the ground ,unless you hunt with a bow..
I did not answer this to pi-- you off ..I,am older than you and i have hunted most of the animals you talk about and it is my personal opinion that if you would like to see 60 you really need to sell your 30/30.GRIZZLIES dont care about your age or your rifle just meat..gun)
Again nothing personal ,,just another answer..

I get the gist of what you're saying. Many animal attacks involve some level of error on the human victims part. Along those lines I've read that the majority of snake bites occur on young men late teen to mid twenties between the wrist and elbow. In other words right where the snakes head lands when he turns around and bites the thing that's grabbing him.

Living in the most populous state in the nation I have to say the scariest thing I've ever come across in the woods walks on two legs. I don't know what's scarier the once a year city hunter who sights in his rifle opening day and takes "sound" shots or the hillbilly who only comes out of the hills once a year and thinks everyone in "his" backyard is coming out to probe his brain LOL!!!

I think he said he only hunted in 5 of the lower 48 states. As for the big cannons needed for game Eleanor O'Connor killed a lot of animals with the little old 7X57 and Eskimos kill some of the biggest animals on earth with little .223's. All I'm saying is some common sense when dealing with dangerous animals and a properly aimed bullet of reasonable construction and power should be sufficient for most any animal on earth.

Oh come on guys.... This post wasnt to ruffle feathers. Someone did mention my age though. Bravo. I did mention in the post a couple times, about being aware of not being the greatest and listening to elders. In some sense I guess I'm just trying to shed light on a topic that is asinine to me. As far as me being mentally myopic, please. Thinking five minutes, days, and weeks ahead is something that is you tend to focus on to get yourself out of the academy. Don't take me as someone who isn't humbled. There's nothing like being busted by another sniper after you've done EVERYTHING you've been trained to do. The main thing I remembered was to do everything better. The point I really wanted to make was DO NOT FEAR any creature. Respect is a better word for it. I've seen the most hardened men break down and do stupid **** over fear. Fear is what we in the business refer to as terror. Knowing your prey, enemy, target, is essential to conquering that fear. Thinking or staying 5 steps ahead of them is where we win. With large game, there should be no surprises. When you're walking along a game trail after dangerous game, your mind shouldn't be anywhere but thinking what you're gonna do when it presents itself. I had an instructor who told me after it was over: "Jacob, we were beating the weak stupidity out of you". It takes a while to sink in, but he was right. The ability to think should trump your weapons ability and your fear. After a while, hunting any creature is just a matter of steps. The reward is knowing you did it right. Not the rack. lightbulb

When, or if you cross paths with the wrong critter, all that crap is gonna go down the drain. Yup, I'm one of the old guys that probably been around too long.

OK. Now's time for me to be serious. I wrote this for simple explanation. It was a light-hearted jabber. For lack of in depth responses, including ignorant remarks will I simply leave it alone. I did not mean to offend anyone, but as usual with anything posted in view of the public, there will be negative remarks. The post about my levity as crap that will go out the door with the right critter is the one that made me smile. So silly and untrue. What's great about these forums is you never know who is experienced in the real world and who just doesn't know anything. As far as my personal thoughts go. I believe that age really doesn't mean ****. Generally someone who has experienced more is usually older. It does not mean they are more intelligent. I've already forgotten more about hunting, life, and shooting, than a lot of boneheads will ever know. My experiences are what allows me to have the opinions that I do. With that ill say good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.