Scale

Not trying to sound like a smart *** or implying anything but it would seem to me to be as easy using the old tried and true beam scale and dispensing (no pun intended) with the electronic charge dispenser altogether.

My idea for wanting one is quicker multiple charges of a same equalivent of powder like when I load .223's in bulk. A little drift is permissable. I'm sure not going to feel a bit of load drift, so long as I stay below the maximum charge for a particular caliber, which I do.

I would also think that no automated dispenser made could repeatedly dispence at a kernal graduation and candidly, I don't see how one kernal would make much difference in as much as primers themselves can vary and thats something a reloader can't control because primers are purchased or at least 99% are, bench rest primers not withstanding....

That one percent can scrape match heads all they want to.....:D

That's the beauty of America! You can use powder scoops or precision instruments and be perfectly happy either way.

The RCBS chargemaster is the best piece of reloading equipment I have.
Dead on accurate and easy to use.

OK, it's dead accurate. But tell me how your testing it? You'll need three units to seriously check it out, and I doubt you own three. Secondly you have to have some sort of a standard to check it against (all three). Thirdly you need to do all your checks with these three units in a controlled area.

I ran a test once with a Lyman #55 measurer throwing BLC2 at 25.5 grains. Measured the charge on three scales plus an Ohaus #304. I saw about 1/10th grain variation for about 25 throws (a 2/10th grain window) . Digital scales were Pacts (2) and one RCBS, plus the 304 Ohaus. I did the test in the dead of winter, and it was very dry inside the house. Had I ran the same test in July, I doubt the results would have been similar. I did check the two pacts with certified check weights that I brought home from work. They were spot on. (The RCBS was gone by then) Later I compaired them with a $10K certified master at work, and then compaired them to the lab master. Error was in the .033 grain area (window or even slightly narrower)

All I'm saying here is that at times we are whipping a dead horse! I see no (as in zero) difference between the RCBS, Pact, and the Lyman when it worked. We worry about 1/10th of a grain in a 60 grain load, when it figures out to be 1/600th of the total charge!!
gary

I have been using the Hornady Auto Charge for about the last 1000 rounds. I must be doing something wrong because it works great. The many horrible reviews I read had me worried. Bought it anyway and like it. Very easy to change powders too, which I do frequently.

Ok.
I tested weights of several powders using a research grade pharmaceutical scale.
The charge master goes out to .xx. The pharmacertical scale goes to .xxxx.
I also tested my Lyman scale weights on both scales. Negligible difference.
I mean one stick of IMR 4350...one granual of powder.
I am not trying to convince you...just telling you.
best of luck. I know it is a hard decision. Money is tight.

I have been using the Hornady Auto Charge for about the last 1000 rounds. I must be doing something wrong because it works great. The many horrible reviews I read had me worried. Bought it anyway and like it. Very easy to change powders too, which I do frequently.

Thats the thing about interwebz reviews, the neg ones are a large percentage of the folks that had trouble with a product, the *** reviews are a small percentage that it wasn't inconvenient to leave a review. So say you sell 923,001 of a given product you'll have lemons (statistical fact) the folks that get lemons will bitch, the folks that get a good product you'll never hear from except as a return customer.

Thats the thing about interwebz reviews, the neg ones are a large percentage of the folks that had trouble with a product, the *** reviews are a small percentage that it wasn't inconvenient to leave a review. So say you sell 923,001 of a given product you'll have lemons (statistical fact) the folks that get lemons will bitch, the folks that get a good product you'll never hear from except as a return customer.

I used a Lyman when they first came out for a couple weeks as a loaner. It was maybe three months old, and had drift issues with it. Dealer sent it back, and the replacement worked well for about a month. Then used the first RCBS that was built by PACT. Worked fine, but was also a tad slow (didn't have a problem with the speed myself). But for what I was working with, I saw no advantage over the current setup (Harrell measurer throwing stuff like H332, H335, H380, and BLC2) at the time. Later on I get my own PACT, and it works well, but still don't use it all that much.

Now back to the Lyman a bit. The dealer also had drift issues with his units (he checked everyone of the ones he had in stock. The RCBS worked well, so he got several of them in to sell. At first I thout the problem was with his power source, but eventually I had the same problem even when using a power conditioner. I have used the latest version of the RCBS, and it is a nice unit. But can't see $100 difference between it and the newest version of the PACT. What I wish all the manufacturers would sell is pans that will weigh the same, as that would speed things up a good bit for me.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.