Saw thread on BRC that Barney Lawton has passed

This was cut and pasted from 6mmBR web site.

LEO M. WILLIAMS, JR.

PATRICIA B. WILLIAMS

1277 French Settlement Road

Williamsport, PA 17702

Barney Lawton/Lawton Machine
It is with a heavy heart that this post is being submitted. On the evening of January 27, 2009, my lifelong friend, Barney Lawton, lost his 9 month battle with brain cancer. From the time he was diagnosed in May, he did his best to compress the many things that he wanted to do in the time he had left.
Among those were trips with his wife, quality time spent with family and friends, a visit to a Montana water slide park with his grandchildren, a long range elk hunt this past fall with a .375 Chey-Tac kill at 810 yards, along with taking a respectable whitetail buck.
Undaunted by people telling him he couldn't go, he attended and competed in the Montana 1000 Yard Benchrest Championship shoot last August, where he placed third in Closest to Center. He was really proud of that accomplishment!
Some time in June or July, Barney and some of his friends were invited to a wild pig hunt in south Texas. You would have thought that he had been given his "make-a-wish" hunt of a lifetime. From that time forward, he lived and breathed being able to make that trip. The problem was that the ranches were not available until the end of January, due to already existing scheduled whitetail hunts. Up until three weeks ago, I fully believed that we were going to get this hunt in before it was too late. All the arrangements were made only to be circumvented by a rapid deterioration in his health. Even given that, when I spoke to him as recently as this past Saturday, the 24th, we talked of which gun he was going to take, where you hold on the pig for a clean kill, what we were going to do with the meat and a multitude of other things necessary to prepare for the trip. I told him he was personally going to have to supervise going over the vehicle to be used…his response "Yep". I reminded him to get his ammunition reloaded…his response "Yep". I told him he had to eat more to get his strength back…his response "Yep". I told him he had to drink a lot of fluids…his response "Yep". I told him I had to go and I would talk to him later…his response "Yep". I told him that I loved him and all I got was "Yep". I told him to be good…and the last thing he said to me was… "No promises".
Anyone wishing to send cards or to contact the family, the address is:
Sue Lawton
580 ½ N. Montana St.
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 660-0688
Barney's wife, Sue, Lawton Machine's employees and myself, want to take the time to thank all the people out there, who have shown their support and loyalty to Lawton Machine over these past months. In spite of an increase in orders, the shop has been able to significantly reduce the time needed to deliver barrels and actions, while improving appearance and quality. Credit for that sets squarely with the dedication of each and every person within Barney's organization.
All necessary arrangements are in place, assuring the continuity of Barney's legacy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.