Saw a sexy 700 in 30-338 now have ?'s

Fan of the 1911

Was introduced to an older gunsmith a couple weeks ago. Real nice guy, was just talking and checking stuff out. The amount of good information that was shared with me took over a week to digest. Over the week several ideas clicked into " why have I not thought of that it makes logical sense!"
Well to the question he pulls out this rifle, beautiful rifle and says here's my baby. It was chambered in 30-338 I don't believe it was based of of the h&h case, I only saw it for a split second. It was loaded with a 180 grain burger bullet, and set up for little holes at 1000 yards. Now that I've had the time to digest some of the other ideas he had I'm wondering if this cartrage isn't sprinkled with lucky charms? I'm only brass and dies into 7mm mag action truing and a stock was already in the plan so what's the deal with 30-338???

Thanks, William.

Was he talking about the .30-338 Lapua, or the .30-338 WinMag?

If he was talking about the .30-338 WinMag, then it IS based off the .300 H&H, just like almost all of the belted magnum are (other than the .378 Weatherby cases, which are larger in diamter).

I will assume you are referring to the .30-338 WinMag. If that's the case, all you have to do to make brass is run either 7mm RemMag brass or .338 WinMag brass through a full-length .30-338 WM sizing die. And you're done.

Here's dies for the .30-338 WinMag...

Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 30-338 Winchester Mag

The .30-338 Lapua is derrived from the .338 Lapua case, which is NOT based on the .300 H&H. And to form brass for a .30-338 Lapua, you just simply run a .338 Lapua brass through your full-length .30-338 Lapua die.

Redding 3-Die Set 30-338 Lapua Mag

Maybe it is because I'm on my phone, but the search didn't show anything, and I re checked it and still didn't pull anything up.
Will try from the computer when I get Aw chance.
Thanks William.

Maybe it is because I'm on my phone, but the search didn't show anything, and I re checked it and still didn't pull anything up.
Will try from the computer when I get Aw chance.
Thanks William.

Results has gone up ...

Attachments

• 30-338.jpg
    30-338.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 112
Was he talking about the .30-338 Lapua, or the .30-338 WinMag?

If he was talking about the .30-338 WinMag, then it IS based off the .300 H&H, just like almost all of the belted magnum are (other than the .378 Weatherby cases, which are larger in diamter).

I will assume you are referring to the .30-338 WinMag. If that's the case, all you have to do to make brass is run either 7mm RemMag brass or .338 WinMag brass through a full-length .30-338 WM sizing die. And you're done.

Here's dies for the .30-338 WinMag...

Redding Deluxe 3-Die Set 30-338 Winchester Mag

The .30-338 Lapua is derrived from the .338 Lapua case, which is NOT based on the .300 H&H. And to form brass for a .30-338 Lapua, you just simply run a .338 Lapua brass through your full-length .30-338 Lapua die.

Redding 3-Die Set 30-338 Lapua Mag

the 30-.338 Win mag is nearly a clone to the .308 Norma mag. So close that load data is identical. So why not just do the .308 Norma mag and start out ahead in the game plan? The difference is that the Norma has a .059" longer neck length.
gary

the 30-.338 Win mag is nearly a clone to the .308 Norma mag. So close that load data is identical. So why not just do the .308 Norma mag and start out ahead in the game plan? The difference is that the Norma has a .059" longer neck length.
gary

I'm really confused, as I never gave him any suggestions. I just gave him some info, and a few questions as to which .30-338 he was talking about. Which he never answered...So, that's still up in the air.

As for the matter of dealing with a .30-338 WM vs .308 Norma conversation, why not just build a .300 WinMag and have factory ammo, brass, dies, and tons of load data readily available at your fingertips...Not to mention easily tuned. You know...If simplicity was the name of the game. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.