Savages edge series

Lead_Farmer

I was woundering what caliber could you turn inot a 5.56 Nato with minimal work? and what would it require to do it?

pretty shure the only difference between a 223 and 5.56 is a 5.56 has a longer throat for heavier bullets and case are thicker walled giving it a higher std rateing for pressuse

if you really want to do this
i would say use a throat remer or a std 5.56 remer on a 223 and set your head space again with the barrel nut

if went this much trouble i would just do 223 AI or 22-250

their is not going to be a difference if you hand load a 223 vs 556 might get more out of 223 being that it might have very very small more case capicty

military 5.56 rounds are military ammo not very consistant loads and have a crimped primer which is a pain to reload

5.56 has a longer throat for heavier bullets and case are thicker walled giving it a higher std rateing for pressuse

When I've weighed groups of 20 cases and taken the average, I've found Lake City 5.56 ammo to be one of the lighter cases (W-W Super headstamped cases are lightest, and Federal marginally lighter than L-C). Winchester, PMC and Sellier & Bellot were the heaviest in my sample. R-P was a little heavier than Lake City.

Thought it kind of odd that there was such a weight difference betwixt W-W Super and Winchester headstamped cases.

I haven't cross-sectioned any cases. Maybe L-C are thicker walled and thinner in the case head area to explain the weight difference.

i don't know if it is still true about case thickness but the 223 std pressure was 55kpsi the 556 was 62kpsi this why it had thicker case now that brass material and manufacturing has improved they may be the same or less now

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts