Savages edge series

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Lead_Farmer, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Lead_Farmer

Lead_Farmer Active Member

I was woundering what caliber could you turn inot a 5.56 Nato with minimal work? and what would it require to do it?

2. mopar440

mopar440 Well-Known Member

pretty shure the only difference between a 223 and 5.56 is a 5.56 has a longer throat for heavier bullets and case are thicker walled giving it a higher std rateing for pressuse

if you really want to do this
    i would say use a throat remer or a std 5.56 remer on a 223 and set your head space again with the barrel nut

if went this much trouble i would just do 223 AI or 22-250

their is not going to be a difference if you hand load a 223 vs 556 might get more out of 223 being that it might have very very small more case capicty

military 5.56 rounds are military ammo not very consistant loads and have a crimped primer which is a pain to reload

3. Lead_Farmer

Lead_Farmer Active Member

thinks i guess i will just keep it .223

4. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

When I've weighed groups of 20 cases and taken the average, I've found Lake City 5.56 ammo to be one of the lighter cases (W-W Super headstamped cases are lightest, and Federal marginally lighter than L-C). Winchester, PMC and Sellier & Bellot were the heaviest in my sample. R-P was a little heavier than Lake City.

Thought it kind of odd that there was such a weight difference betwixt W-W Super and Winchester headstamped cases.

I haven't cross-sectioned any cases. Maybe L-C are thicker walled and thinner in the case head area to explain the weight difference.

5. mopar440

mopar440 Well-Known Member

i don't know if it is still true about case thickness but the 223 std pressure was 55kpsi the 556 was 62kpsi this why it had thicker case now that brass material and manufacturing has improved they may be the same or less now