Savage Weather Warrior Series

WOW, alright, you convinced me , I relent, I must reload. Now I have to bum the load specifics from you. What does " .020 jump " mean? I know nothing about reloading, actually, I have only been hunting for less than two years, but fully addicted.
I went to Wyoming for antelope myself, I took the 300 WM. We were pounded with snow, I shot a fair buck antelope and doe antelope. Thank you for the help.

Congrats on the antelope! They are very fun to hunt.

.020" jump means .020" from the lands or rifling. Most rifles/bullets like to shoot with the longer oal, or closer to the lands, if your mag box allows to do so. For instance, if OAL to the lands is 3.5" and you wanted .020" jump, you'd seat them to 3.480"

I like to start at or .005" off and see how they do. If they dont do well, then I know the only way to go is deeper, and I go in .010" increments.

I'm glad you are real clear on how you classify your rifle as a 1 MOA rifle. If everyone was honest with themselves (and everyone else), I think we would see far larger numbers of 1.5 MOA and up rifles. I've shot those sub moa groups with my 20+ year old, pawn shop special model 110 in .30-06 with factory everything, no bedding, and 1000+ rounds down the tube. I have shot them, but I don't shoot them everytime. I'm still learning how to shoot well, load well, and build well. But honestly, my gun would be a 2 MOA rifle now. I expect that to drop considerbly when I get the new barrel, bed the action, and install the SSS trigger. I think that 90% or more of your "groups" (not shots) must be within what ever MOA you call your rifle for you to be accurate when describing it.

My first new rifle was a steven 200 in 243, was .7 to 1.2 five shot groups on first hand load. After fire forming, ya-hoo! Best groups to date .17" and worst to be no more than half inch. Keeping it clean and cool is the key.

Just order a 111 long range hunter for grandson 7mm will the 9-5 twist shoot 180 berger ? Can you get 3000 ft out of a 26'' barrel ? What powder are you using ?

Just order a 111 long range hunter for grandson 7mm will the 9-5 twist shoot 180 berger ? Can you get 3000 ft out of a 26'' barrel ? What powder are you using ?

Retumbo, it burns barrel out faster than other powder but gives highest velocity/lowest pressure.

I've always been a Remington man. I'm getting ready to buy my first Savage. I'm wanting a .300 WSM. I've got it narrowed down to the 16FCSS (DBM and no brake) or the 16FHSAK (hinged floorplate with brake). I've seen different listings for the 16FHSAK showing it has a fluted barrel. I'm looking for a definitive answer. Does anyone know for sure if the 16FHSAK is fluted or not? Are there other models I should be looking at in the .300 WSM chambering? Thanks for the help.

Bob

I've always been a Remington man. I'm getting ready to buy my first Savage. I'm wanting a .300 WSM. I've got it narrowed down to the 16FCSS (DBM and no brake) or the 16FHSAK (hinged floorplate with brake). I've seen different listings for the 16FHSAK showing it has a fluted barrel. I'm looking for a definitive answer. Does anyone know for sure if the 16FHSAK is fluted or not? Are there other models I should be looking at in the .300 WSM chambering? Thanks for the help.

Bob

Have you considered building one on a long action? I have one with a Hart barrel on an older 112 stagger feed action and a Krieger barrel on a new 116 centerfeed action. It lets me seat the bullet anywhere I want and still feed them from the magazine.

Bringing this one back from the dead. Looking at a Model 16 in Weather Warrior FHSS, in 7mm mag.

Anyone have one and have any encouraging thoughts about it? I got a new Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 7mm-08 for my daughter this year, and it's a tack driver. I'm looking to pick up a new rifle myself now, a good all around rifle. Thinking of putting a Zeiss Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14×44 with Rapid-Z 800 reticle.

I see no reason for a muzzle break on this considering it has a pretty good butt pad on it now for recoil. I don't see it kicking too much more then my 280 shooting a 160 grain bullet.

Would appreciate anyones thoughts. Thanks.

I ended up with a 7mm Weather Warrior. I got the accutrigger but not the accustock and it is a blind magazine. This is my hunting rifle. I do my own reloading and settled with 162gr Hornady SST's. I am not certain what MOA it shoots but I have killed a good amount of deer/elk with it already. I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 duplex with target turrets mounted on it. No muzzlebrake and I can't complain about it, fairly light rifle for packing.

Also have to say that I liked it so much that I bought another in .243 and switched out the barrel myself to make it a
6.5 Creedmoor with the same non accustock and blind mag. On this one I bedded the action and put a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LR scope on it. It shoots less than 1" groups at 200yrds and I'm hitting targets out past 800yrds. I just need to learn how to dope the wind better.

I see no reason for a muzzle break on this considering it has a pretty good butt pad on it now for recoil. I don't see it kicking too much more then my 280 shooting a 160 grain bullet.

I have 116 FCSS in 300 win mag, and recoil isn't bad at all. I have a heavier scope on it, (Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56) but I don't see that making that much of a difference.

My brother has a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Mag. It's a tack driver, but it's abusive compared to my Savage.

So I have heard that it is easy to change out the barrels on savages, I am looking at purchasing a weather warrior in 308. Can I swap it to a 22-250 without any problems?

So I have heard that it is easy to change out the barrels on savages, I am looking at purchasing a weather warrior in 308. Can I swap it to a 22-250 without any problems?

Wow!! Can't believe how long ago I started this thread. To answer your question it is a piece of cake to switch out the barrel(with correct tools). I still have my 7mm but haven't shot it much. I boughtvthecsane rifle in a .243 and changed barrel to a 6.5 Creedmoor that I now use for coyote and shot my cow elk at 300yrds last fall. I've shot 2liter bottles out to 830yrds with it too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.