savage stock

tommyc279

Just picked up my savage 12fv and was wondering what types of improvements to the factory stock can be made. I think it is dual pillar bedded which should be good, but i was wondering about the barrel channel it looks like it is touching the barrel. Should i attempt to fix these minor details or buy a aftermarket stock. If I widen the channel will that help accuracy! Or if I buy a new stock what do you recommend: money is a factor like it keep $150 or below! Once again thanks for helping the newbie, Everybody has been more than helpful!!!! P.s. any tips on widening the channel?

If I had $150 to spend on a stock and was a little mechanically inclined, I'd get one of the money saver stocks from Stockaid stocks
Stocks You will need to spend a few hours sanding/filling/painting, but it will be a MUCH better stock than the tupperware stock that Savage sends. If you keep the plastic stock as it is, you might be able to sell it for $25 or so.

To see the types of stocks that stockade sells, click on the price link.

As far as stiffening up the stock you have, its a lot of effort for very little reward. You can make sure the bottom of the recoil lug isn't touching the 2 ribs under it. And tighten up the screws while holding the barrel centered in the channel. In my opinion, thats about all the effort that the plastic stock is worth.

AJ

All the replacement stocks i look at say they fit only the 110 model. Am I looking in the wrong sites or will these fit me model 12! I know i would need the heavy barrel, short action!!!

Give them a call, their website is far from the best. I thought they made them for short actions as well. Give'm a call.

AJ

If I had $150 to spend on a stock and was a little mechanically inclined, I'd get one of the money saver stocks from Stockaid stocks
Stocks You will need to spend a few hours sanding/filling/painting, but it will be a MUCH better stock than the tupperware stock that Savage sends. If you keep the plastic stock as it is, you might be able to sell it for $25 or so.

To see the types of stocks that stockade sells, click on the price link.

As far as stiffening up the stock you have, its a lot of effort for very little reward. You can make sure the bottom of the recoil lug isn't touching the 2 ribs under it. And tighten up the screws while holding the barrel centered in the channel. In my opinion, thats about all the effort that the plastic stock is worth.

AJ
i agree spend the money if you can. you can get 20-30.00 for your stock.

Try a BVSS Stock...

...I have seen them online for under $200 ($179 +/-) for the model 12 (short action) and they are the laminated stock made for the heavy barrel savages. Midway and SharpShooterSupply come to mind as suppliers.

I bedded the stock on my 10FP with the kit from Brownell's, trimmed it up front to make sure it didn't touch anywhere, and then used epoxy and remnants from carbon arrows to stiffen up the front. Works like a champ.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.