Savage stock sizes

Strokerace_dave

What do you guys think about putting a savage 110 action with factory contour barrel in a B&C Duramaxx stock made for a varmint contour barrel? I know the barrel would be very floated, but would the stock be too big in the forend and look funny or bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen it and personally don't like the looks of it but it is perfectly functional. Sorry I don't have a picture but that rifle has already been torn down and rebuilt with a varmint contour barrel. It wouldn't be that hard to bed the full length of the barrel to fill the gap and a couple layers of tape would keep it floated.

Geargrinder do you have a picture of that rifle you did? Also does the stock come up on the sides or does the barrel kinda sit on top of the stock? The pictures of the rifles I have seen have not really been what I was looking for, I plan on getting a Shilen Varmint contour barrel later in the 270 Winchester or maybe 280 Ackley, since Hornady will now start making brass for it. But any help would be appreciated along with pictures.:D

It comes up on the sides. There is only about 1/8" gap around a sporter barrel. I do have a picture in my photobucket account. I'm blocked here at work, I'll post a picture when I get home.

Thanks Geargrinder, you've been really helpful, the varmint barrel must just fit in there to be fully floated if there is 1/8" on either side. looking forward to the pictures to better see what you're talking about.

Thanks again...

barrel

I just put my sporter barreled savage 300 rum into a choate varmint stock and it has a 1.25" barrel channel. It looks really weird, but totally functional. I will be adding a fleece camo barrel sleeve and one for the scope to camo it up and that should even it out quite a bit.

Here is the only picture I could find. I thought I had a better one. I'll keep looking.

Anyway, this is a sporter barrel in a varmint taper factory stock.

S8000412.jpg

I'd just take another picture, but I've screwed a varmint taper 220 Swift barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.