savage rebarrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by pat86004, Jul 30, 2014.

1. pat86004

pat86004 Active Member

I'm playing with the idea of rebarreling a savage model 11 that I have to something else. I have another 223 and don't see the need to have 2. Does anyone have a link to a list of cartridges that I can rebarrel to using the same bolt head? I'm also curious about magazines, let's say I did end uprebarreling to something that uses a different head like 22-250. Obviously I'll need to change the mag but will I need to make any alterations to the magwell or anything.

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

3. pat86004

pat86004 Active Member

Thanks, so if I wanted to go to a bigger cartridge in a short action, I'd just swap the bolt head and magazine? Will all short action magazines fit the stock/receiver or is there more work to do?

4. Barrelnut

All short action magazines should fit the short receiver. Just make sure you get one for model 11. Should not need to change the feed ramp or anything.

5. lightflight

lightflight Well-Known Member

I changed my 223 to a 260 rem. Same reason, didn't see a reason to have two 223s.

6. pat86004

pat86004 Active Member

Hmm, that's kinda neat. I might need to think a bit more seriously about this.

7. brguide

brguide Well-Known Member

Contact savage directly and sign a liability waver saying that you do not hold them reliable and you can get a new bolt head for 20.00. Or you can go to midway and replace the bolt with a factory bolt for 109.00.

8. 7magcreedmoor

7magcreedmoor Well-Known Member

E Arthur Brown Co. will change your savage bolt head for a pretty reasonable price and send the old one back to you. Give EABCO a look.

9. lightflight

lightflight Well-Known Member

You can get boltheads all over the internet and its all DIY. no need to pay anyone.

10. Barrelnut

Easy to change the barrel yourself. You need a barrelnut wrench , go nogo gauges and a strong vise or an action wrench.

Bolt heads are easy to change too. Lots of help with this on YouTube

11. pat86004

pat86004 Active Member

I'm thinking a lightweight Coues deer/ varmint rifle might be in the future.

12. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

+1! Got one at http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage%20performance.htm for $50. I suggest if you go this route, get extra springs, pins, etc. from Savage just in case you lose them in the process of replacing it ... it never hurts to have extra parts on hand just in case.

There's a you tube video on the how-to.

Good luck!

13. pat86004

pat86004 Active Member

I've got some time to think about this one, I've got several other "projects" to tackle first. Number one being a new scope for another rifle. I'll be doing a lot of research on cartridge before I proceed.

14. rickdavis81

rickdavis81 Well-Known Member

Barrel and bolt head swaps are easy on the Savages. You can get the bolt heads thru midway for $25 or so. Getting the bolt head off the bolt body is easy. But when you remove/install the extractor and ejector do it in a large ziplock bag. I've had to chase too many springs and balls down and it's always been on carpet.