Savage predator hunter 6.5x284

Driller54

Well I just had to have one of the savage predator hunters in 6.5x284. My question is what would be the max range of this rifle using 140grn bergers?

Hopefully you have a good barrel on yours. If not, get a Shilen... You will probably need a good bedding job to extract the most out of that rifle and the barrel is a bit short but it should certainly reach out there a ways... There have been a lot of complaints about the quality of barrels on the long range hunters and the 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. Sounds like Savage does not have the kinks out of their 6.5 rifling tooling.

My 6mm model 12 barrel was pretty good, just did not have the right twist to facilitate shooting the long VLD's so I had change the barrel anyway. The one benefit of getting a factory 26" varmint barrel is that when you sell it you get back about half of what you pay for a high quality prefit.

Drill- what kind of groups do you get with it?? my remingtons do real well with 123 scenars and 139 scenars.

To be honest I havnt shot it yet I actually just got it I was just wondering based on someone else's experience with the rifle loaded with heavy vld's what a max range (ball park) would be with this setup. Regardless of scope although I was thinking about huskemaw, vortex or nightforce just In case latter on I do decide to put another barrel and "extend" my range if need be if not I be set up great

I have a Predator in 22-250 and a Savage LRH in 6.5-284. Both rifles are superbly accurate producing -25-.5MOA. Both rifle were good right out of the box except for some minor removal of barrel channel material to relieve minor contact points. I have shot deer size game out to 1000 yards and coyotes and soft ball sized ricks out to 1100-1200 yards with the 6.5-284. The Predator has the same barrel length, chamber, and twist as the LRH. It doesn't have a break, the LRH does. They are very accurate and reliable for the money.IMO

I have a predator in .260 and a friend of mine has one in 6.5-284. We both shoot 140 Amax in our rifles and they do fine to 1000 yards and beyond. The sky is the limit if you load. I love my .260 and can't say enough good about it.

I have a savage predator in a 6.5-284 and Im using nosler brass and have tried A-max, SST and sierra game kings. The A-max has shot the best out of my riffle with H4831 but later I decided to go to something a little bit stronger for the elk here in utah and went with the sierra game king and H4350. All bullets would produce loads of half and inch and under. I was very impressed with the Game kings when i shot an elk at 560 yards and the bullet passed completely through both lungs breaking 3 ribs on the exit and dropped the elk in her track. Absolutely love this gun!! As for distance on the gun im using a BDC reticle and milk jugs are nothing out to 600 and propane tanks out to 800. Im looking forward to shooting this summer and figuring out my MOA to really pin point my accuracy out even farther

I do load! I am a loader! I'm just tryin to figure out what would be the simplest way to go with a set if dies. Don't wana mess around with the bushings etc. just a set of full length dies I'm pretty sure redding will set me up. But even more than that brass is gonna be a killer to find these days.

I bought a set of redding dies and I love them. It was a 2 die set and I found a redding neck sizer and bought it also but in my opinion a properly set full length die has produced better accuracy. Nosler custom grade reloading brass was resonably priced and has been very consistent but I have never owned lapau so I can't really compare. But for a more cost friendly set up I would recommend this and it has produced the most accurate hand loads I have ever made.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.