Savage predator 243

rjr6036

Hello,

I am looking at buying a Savage Predator rifle in 243. This rifle will mainly be used for a mid weight play/work rifle and it will probably shoot 6-12 whitetail doe's, the occasional hog and coyote a year at ranges to 350 yards.

I have never really been a fan of deer hunting with a 243, but I bought a youth Mossberg for my 5 year old son and was very impressed with the damage done to the deer he killed with it. If I had told you it was belted magum you would not have doubted the damage done.

I also have a Mossberg 835 12 gauge that I purchase in 1991 and the camo dip has held up extremly well for a cheap gun that has served as a boat paddle, club, push pole and any other abuse you can think of.

Was thinking of topping the rifle with a Bushnell 4200 6 x 24 x 50 in Warne rings.
Shooting the heavier Barnes X or Triple Shocks out of it(if they shot well).

It could also serve as another rifle for my son as he grows. With all thing the same I wish Savage would offer the weapon in .260 or 7-08. I have enough .308 cal. to sink a ship.

What ya'll think? Go or no Go.

Thanks

Russell

Russ,
I don't have that rifle but I purchased a .243 Win last year and am tickled to death with mine. I am having a ton of laughs at the crows around here who think they're safe at 300yds. I found a super accurate load using the 65gn V-Max/Varget/BR2's at just over 3500fps. I'm anxiously awaiting my first groundhog season this spring!
I may or may not use mine to harvest deer with. I know the experts say it's a 300-350yd deer rifle but I've seen my dad kill 'em at 500yds so I know in the right hands it will deliver. If I have it during deer season and see one, shame on her/him! I have also been looking at that 85gn TSX!JohnnyK.

Thanks Johnnyk

I doubt a will shoot anything lighter than 85gr. The only varmits we have here are coyotes and nutria. We shoot the nutria with either a 22lr or a 17hmr, and sometimes a shot gun(went 14 for 16 with my 22 last Sunday). There is to much water around to use a high power rifle for them. I think the heavier bullets will kill deer sized game with a little more penatration for shoulder shooting.

Morning all - I live in South Africa and hunt a lot all over the country. My main go to rifle is my .243 - I shot 22 buck with it last year. The biggest was a Rowland Ward Blesbuck and all the animals were bang flops using the Sierra 85gr gameking. I also shot a Kudu with my 243 a few years back - no problem. It is a horribly underestimated caliber and is capable of taking any of your Whitetails, Mule deer etc with ease! I do not often take animals beyond 300m because of the wind in our open plains but I have taken two Springbuck just on the 400m mark - both one shot kills with standard points. I am not a big one for premium points. I think they are over rated and too expensive! 100gr standard points pushed at around 3000 fps is deadly medicine. BTW my rifle for bigger game is the .270 win. Go for the 243 and show it some respect - it will not let you down!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.