Savage muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by garsticker, Jan 31, 2013.

1. garsticker

garsticker Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any luck getting good results from one of these...My encore with 777 prints a much better group that the smokeless stuff through my savage...I've tried several different loads but 2 1/4 inches at 100 is my best load...Am I missing something?
    Barry

2. Unoboats

Unoboats Well-Known Member

Try IMR-4759 42gns, 250 gr Barnes Expanders w/ the sabots provided. if you let the barrel cool a little the sabots will not deform from the heat of the barrel. there fore you should be shooting under a inch at 100 yds. mine shoots in the 5's and 6's regularly. I also use the win 209 primer. Be sure the breech plug is drilled out as to give you all the ignition needed for the shoot.
    Chip

3. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

My savage shot the 250gr. SST's pretty well with Vht N110. I now am shooting a Barnes original .458 300gr. with a MMP sabot. I use VHT N120 for the 300gr bullets. As posted previously the bore does heat quickly and softens the sabot which hurts accuracy. I can shoot 2 shots before letting it cool.

4. nctta

nctta Well-Known Member

5. lwh723

lwh723 Well-Known Member

What are you shooting?

Have you tried any 458 cal bullets with Harvester Black Crush Rib Sabots? I'd say 90%+ of the guys I setup find that combo shoots best.

Another option is to put a 45cal Pac-Nor barrel on it, and then you will have an absolute tack driver guaranteed!

6. garsticker

garsticker Well-Known Member

I think I may have been my own worst enemy..my shots may have been to fast ..I know I didn't even think about the barrel temp..
    I am going to try some of those loads....how do you drill the breech plug out

7. Truc

Truc Well-Known Member

+1 on what Luke said about the 45 caliber and start shooting Sabotless, once you do you will never go back to those dang sabots. And you don't have to worry so much about letting the barrel cool. The McGowans shoot pretty darn good too.

Go to this site and learn everything you want to know about Savage Smokeless ML's

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless

8. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

Has anyone built a muzzleloader off a Ruger #1? I was thinking about buying one in 45-70 and seeing if it could be done?

9. Truc

Truc Well-Known Member

yes they have, go to Dougs message board to learn more