Savage model 12 scope mount

Johnc1

Does any one know the screw size used on a Savage model 12 scope base? I be-leave it is a 8-40 but not sure.

The scope base holes on top of Savage actions are threaded to 6-48.

I have seen where some guys have re-threaded them to a 8-40, but I have never really seen a reason for it other than to just have a bigger screw. The 6-48's have held whatever I've needed it to with no problem.

Thanks pdog I was looking at the threads today. I will have to pick up some 6-48's.
Santa left a new Savage model 12 F/TR under the tree.

I came accross your post and am interested in the same. I am building a 6.5x47L and a 300 WSM on the savage actions. |With varmint contour barrels what height rings would you use. I plan on 20 moa bases.

Dino

I came accross your post and am interested in the same. I am building a 6.5x47L and a 300 WSM on the savage actions. |With varmint contour barrels what height rings would you use. I plan on 20 moa bases.

Dino

That would depend on what scope you plan to use, with a 40mm objective you should be able to get by with medium rings, with a 50mm you might need to go to high.

Bob

50mm vortex pst and a 44mm burris. sorry I did not put that in my thread. Thanks for the reply

Dino

Before spending $150+ on a set of rings, I would verify the correct ring height for my scope, rifle and skeleton. Buy a cheap set of Weaver mount rings in three heights: med, high, and extra-high.

Mount your scope using a couple sizes and then decide which height gives you good clearance and a comfortable check weld.

Then buy your final rings.

I have a set of Burris med rings on a heavy barreled Howa M1500 and the 44mm objective lens is almost to close for comfort. The stock on this build has an adjustable Cheek piece so the weld should be easily adjusted. The EGW base is a little thicker than the burris dovetail that I used on the Howa but should be ok. Great idea with the economy rings though. Do you know if the web dimentions (standoff) are the same as the Tactical rings or would this just introduce another varriable. I understand that some manufacturers differ in height.

What have others used on a Model 12 in a choate tactical with a varmint contour barrel. I can't be the first? Clearance is the issue not the weld. The weld as stated can be adjusted.

Dino

Most ring suppliers provide the height from the top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube. Once you identify the cheap ring that gives the correct height, measure the ring height with a caliper or accurate ruler.

Scope height is not the only parameter that determines the best cheek weld when shooting. Other factors bear as well, like your skeleton, clothing, shooting position, stock length of pull, scope eye relief, etc. For example, it's not uncommon for people to use the next taller ring to provide more objective bell clearance and allow them to move the scope back further to optimize eye relief.

Extra time spent dialing in your scope position will pay off when shooting later. Thoroughly evaluate various cheek rest positions using the cheap rings. Of course, you should do this in the shooting position you use most often. Wear the same clothing too. When you think you have it right, close your eyes, establish a comfortable cheek weld, and then open your eyes. Is the sight picture correct? If not, keep playing with scope position and cheek rest height until it is.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts