Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm RM

neellis

I haven't found many reviews of the Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag on the web so thought I would give a review.
Me and My Rifle Skills: My rifle hunting has been shooting pigs at no more than 200 yards. My target shooting has been at 100 yard ranges. I shoot rifles maybe 2-3 times a year. My current and previously only rifle, a Rem 700 BDL never groups below 4 inches no matter who shoots or what you do even hand loads…to fix it up per a gun smith to shoot 1 inch groups $500-$1000 so I went gun shopping. I just couldn't see putting that much into the gun when its already so disappointing.
I decided to step up and buy a gun capable of shooting 400-500 yards due to a trip to Colorado this fall…
Gun: Savage Model 111 Long Range hunter in 7mm Rem Mag…bought because friend said Savages are accurate out of the box, the most accurate out of the box. Plus I read all about how their long range shooting team shoots guns I could afford to buy (stockfish) and pretty much woops everyone else.
Scope: Vortex 4-16 Viper HS LHR
Results: I think I bought a laser beam! 12 bullets in 1.25 inches at 100 yards shooting Barnes and Federals in 140 and 150 grain. It shocks me that the gun really seems to not care what bullet it shoots. Shocked the range guy as well, he could tell I was not a rifle shooter and after seeing my second grouping he asked what the heck I was shooting. Shock his head and said something about ugly savages. Shot out to 300 yards at a 12 inch gong hit it every time, which is amazing to me. Gun makes me feel like a master!
This gun shoots better than my buddies tricked out Browning A-bolt in 7 mm Rem Mag. He told me has got about $2000 into the gun after purchase, trigger, barrel bedding , muzzle brake etc. We shot our guns side by side at the range so his comparison was not an afterthought. I will admit his gun is pretty with the wood stock etc. I just don't see putting $3000 into a gun when I could buy one for $800 that shoots better with a noob like me behind the trigger
The Savage is not the prettiest girl at the show but she can shoot. Way better than I can that is for sure!

I have 3 savages in my safe now. All of my previous rifles, especially my 700 BDL 3006, shoot .5moa or less. The only rifle I call bad is my mini 14. The best it has ever done is 1 MOA. I am happy for you. It makes a guy feel great about his purchase and really sets the tone for wanting to shoot better each time out.

I am not the least surprised you have good results. I am breaking in a new Savage LRP in 260 remington for my buddy and shot a group at rounds 10, 11, 12 right at 1 MOA. Factory ammo, new barrel, and shooting 1 MOA - nice. I am pretty sure this will be a .25 MOA or less rifle when reloads are dialed in.

I remember that review. Fun.

I originally ordered the LRH but wound up with the model 116 from cabelas in 6.58-284. The main difference is the 116 has a fluted varmint contour barrel in 24" and no muzzle brake.

I can not really find anything wrong with the savage rifles. They feel different and seem less refined but the target doesn't seem to know that. I will say though that many of the custom rifles with a good shooter and properly tuned loads will shoot bug holes at 200. The guy who helped me get started routinely proved it to me. Those custom rifles are consistent!

This is pretty much my final load for a 200 yard group. Not real sure I can do any better and keep the higher speed etc.

Attachments

• 6.5 new group.jpg
    6.5 new group.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 266
If I can figure out how to do it I will post my pictures of the targets they are on my phone

Nate

Any one in the Spokane, CDA, post falls Idaho area. If any of you are looking for a Savage LRH in
6.5-284 River city pawn on 6th st in PFalls Idaho has one for 750$ no scope. Base mounts there.
Stock does not look like it is the original Cherokee cheek piece
But it does have a adjustable cheek piece on it. Gun is in real good to excellent condition. I could not get muzzle break to move but really wasn't trying. One maybe able to walk out with smoking deal.

I own this same rifle. I use 168 gr Berger with 69 grains of H1000. I have shot a group at 1000 yards that is between 5-6 inches. I love this rifle. My buddy hates it cuz he bought a Christiansen arms for a lot more and I honestly think mine shoots better. It's totally factory too.

I haven't really thought about selling it

Had a leupold 3-9 vary x 2 on it

It's the stainless steel model and the scope matches

Not sure what its worth.... Any ideas?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.