Savage MKII fun

Mike6158

A friend of mines son has saved all of his money from mowing grass, animal sales, and other chores and he was all set to buy a .50 cal Desert Eagle pistol. He's in the 8th grade and like most boys he's all into bigger is better. His dad and I tried our best to convince him that a Desert Eagle, while cool, is going to be a gun safe queen for an 8th grader. It's not cheap to shoot, and for him, it won't be fun to shoot. He wasn't convinced.

A few years ago I let him shoot my .338 Edge and he did pretty good out to 600 yards in a little bit of cross wind (10 kts from 90 degrees so not a little) so I tried to convince him to go with a rifle. His dad asked me to help him convince the boy to get a .22 or .17 HMR since he didn't have one. I talked to him... ok texted back and forth... nobody frikken talks anymore... for over an hour and he wasn't convinced. He backed off of the Desert Eagle but wanted a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero like mine. Mines all tricked out with a Nightforce scope, Jewell trigger, Harris bipod with pod lock... it's not in his price range...

So Friday I met them down at a ranch and I carried my Savage MKII down with me. It's chambered in .22 LR (I wish I had bought a 17 HMR but I didn't realize how cool those are until i already had my .22). I put a Leupold 8.5x25x mil dot scope, that I retired from my 7mm mag, on a 20moa base. I "zero'd" it at 150 yards. It's a fun rifle to shoot. It won't drive tacks at 150 yards but it'll splatter cow schtuff and make a meadowlark duck out at 150 yards. gun) :D

The ranch owner has elevated his house about 15-20 feet up on stilts and there's a real nice deck to shoot from. The barrel sticks out between the deck rail slats so for an 8th grader he was in his sniper hide. I set up rocks at 75 yards, 100 yards, and 150 yards. He reluctantly shot it a couple of times. At 75 yards he had to hold two mil dots low... and that's what hooked him. He caught on quick... shoot a spotter round... move the point of impact in the scope to the target, shoot again and bam... right on the money... all with the lowly .22 rimfire. We even had a wind flag up so he could anticipate the calmest part of the wind. He emptied a 50 round box of shells over two days so he wasn't wasting ammo. He made all of his shots count. He even took a shot at a bird that his dad ranged at 230 yards. He held 4 dots high and the bird hit the road when the round hit. No critters were harmed in two days but that boy sure had a good time.

It's too bad .22LR ammo is at such ridiculous levels of scarcity and pricing... but it was worth every round to see the a youngin see the benefits of the lowly .22LR round...

Small world,

I just finished 8th grade this last year

I also just bought a savage mk ii in .17hmr and a spar 10 rd mag.

Shoots amazingly well and accuracy is comparable to my .25-06

good guns, especially the 17

also, glad that he worked hard and earned it, then you respect it and take care of it.

happy shooting

By the way, the sportsman's guide has some fair priced ammo usually. I had my dad buy me some at $10 a box.

P.S. anyone else out there from SD?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.