Savage LRP.... are they over rated...?

daniel brothers

I've been thinking about buying a savage lrp 243. 9.25 twist. 26" bull barrel... but was wondering if they really do put out long range accuracy or not.

Does anyone have one that can give me the skinny about them...?

I'd like to shoot 105 or 107's for 600-1000 yds.

thanks....Dan

Based on the specs you listed, I don't think it is going to work. I bought a model 12 stainless action and 26" varmint barrel with the same twist, and it would not stabilize 95gr Bergers. I re-barreled with an 8 twist Shilen still 26" long and it shoots the 95gr Bergers great. I have yet to shoot the 105's but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. My new barrel has an AI chamber and I am still fireforming, but getting great velocity with those 95's notwithstanding.

I have not heard good things about the model 11's and 111's. I get the impression that many of the cost cutting measures applied on the Axis models has been slipped into the model 11 (like a plastic magazine vs a steel one). There have been many reports of model 11 6.5mm barrels with chatter marks all the way from the throat to the crown. Savage does not seem willing to admit that these barrels are defective.

Your best bet to do it right is to buy a target action, get a Criterion or Shilen large shank barrel from Northland Shooters Supply and then pick your stock. Market prices would be $550 for the action, $350 for a Shilen barrel through NSS = $900 and then whatever you need for a stock. This gets you a stainless rigid action, a target accutrigger and a lapped custom barrel. Buying an expensive LPR and then upgrading it will cost you more money and that is without taking into account the money wasted trying to get a not so good factory gun to shoot.

Good information WestCliffe....

The Savage 12 LRP is what I was looking at, which cost 965.00... only because it seemed to be ready to go with some custom features.... but... I am second guessing that whole thing now.

At this point...it can be a savage or remmy... it doesn't matter to me... as long as it's a super shooter.

I know very little about putting a rifle together... but am willing to learn.

I really would like a 6mm, 8 twist , 26" heavy barrel... shilen mostly, or something in that area.

Left handed would be best for me... but righty is okay as well.

I also favor a 8-12 oz single stage trigger.

I'm not sure where to start with getting pieces for a build... but I'm open to suggestions.

thanks.....Dan

For the barrel and the tools needed (barrel nut wrench, receiver wrench) start here Northland Shooters Supply

There is a target action for sale right here on this forum for an unbeatable price right now if you don't wait too long http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f42/rb-rp-savage-target-actions-reduced-113359/
If you scroll down a few posts you will see it is listed at $475 including shipping to your FFL. (post 7)

Jim at NSS has some barrels on order at Shilen which at this point do not have chambers specified, so I would not delay too long before speaking to him. On that subject, CALL the guy during office hours. Basically forget about email, the guy operates old school.

The action + a Shilen barrel will be an excellent start for a very good gun. You can look at stockys stocks for a stock. You want one for a blind mag since the target action is not set up for magazines. Like this Bobby Hart Long Range Target / Tactical (LRT) Remington 700 BDL / Savage 10/12 (4.40) Laminated Heavy Barrel Riflestocks (Right & Left Hand Models)

If you must have a rifle with a magazine, speak to Jim at NSS because he has the varmint actions on order from Savage, so far I don't think he knows when he is going to get them. That way you would get an action with bottom metal and magazine with the right bolt head all ready to go. Starting off a model 12 is another way, and thats what I did, but I only paid $770 for mine, not $900+. I do see that the 12LRP has a fiberglass stock, but for sure a barrel that is unsuitable for what you want to do. It is pretty hard to get money back for factory barrels...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f42/rb-rp-savage-target-actions-reduced-113359/

Not certain on your thoughts on this suggestion, but I see Buds has the rifle you want in 260Rem (model 12 LRP). It has an 8 twist barrel and would seem to meet your requirements "out the box". Savage 12LRP 260 REM $975.00 SHIPS FREE

They also have a 6.5x284 Model 12 benchrest model with a 30" barrel for slightly more money ($1200 cash) but of course it is loaded with the laminate stock, 8 twist barrel, target accutrigger etc. Savage 6.5X28 Norma Bench Rest/1-8 Twist/Left Load/Right Eje $1,198.00 SHIPS FREE

Ballistically, the 6.5x284 is clearly superior but you will be replacing the barrel a bit sooner... I am in the process of acquiring parts to build one of those too... If you don't shoot too much, the 6.5x284 is a very capable gun.

WOW... what Great infomation... you got my head spinning now...WOW.

I guess I should have mentioned that my main purpose would be for longrange coyote hunting... as well as targets.... so I would need a magazine capibility.

What would be your guess on a shilen barrel from Jim...?

Thanks so much for the information and help...I'm sure I need to act fast.\

thanks....Dan

Your looking at about $340 + shipping. Direct from Shilen is about $550... I have heard that barrel life is a bit better on the 260 Rem than a 243 Win and the 6.5 bullets are pretty good and will be heavier than what you would be shooting in the 243 for sure. The LRP has a detachable magazine so you would be all set.

The only time this may not interest you us if you wanted to shoot the light bullets at close to 4000fps, but that does not sound like you. That needs a different twist and is why Savage compromised on the 1:9.25 in the first place to try to please everyone instead of really catering to long range shooters with an 8 twist.

A key thing to remember is that for a repeater (magazine fed) a 6.5x284 has to be built on a long action receiver and Savage does not do a long target action. With a short target action, removing an unfired round requires removing the bolt. Loading is no problem. Unloading brass is no problem either without the bullet. By contrast the 243 and 260Rem are based on the 308 cartridge and work with 308 based magazines and short actions.

I set guns up for people for long range shooting. Every Savage I have done thats 5 yrs old or less is a shooter & most straight out of the box. I hand load for them all so that make a big diff. Last one was a mod. 11 22-250. 1/2 MOA or less. A savage 110 in a 243. also 1/2 MOA or less. 22-250 shot out to 625 yrds & 243 shot out to 750 yrds. I have 2 Savage mod.112s 22-250 (target) shoots 5 shot groups ( with no wind) looks like 1 22 cal shot at 100 yrds.!!! My 7mm mag. shoots 1/4 MOA and have shot out to 1000 yrds Straight out of the box!!! Again I hand load and am very anal about it!!!! Im sure there are some that wont shoot that well but if you hand load and want perfection... most of them will!!! Rem. Is another brand that is great straight out of the box!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts