Savage LRH in 6.5x284 velocity??

lancloft

I don't know if my chrony chronograph is off (i had the low battery message) or if these are my actual velocities. I tried 51 grains of H4831ssc with 140 grain bergers and only got 2600 fps. I also tried H1000 53.5-55.5 grains and had mv of 2600 and 2650 fps, not much of a difference with 2 grains of powder increase. I also tried a max load of re-22 and was in the 2650 range again. All of the loads were with 140 gr bergers. I had blue skies and used the defusers. I expected at least a bump in velocity with the re-22 since it was 110 degrees outside, having read about how temp sensitive this powder can be. I plan on trying again with a fresh battery but i dont know if this has any effect on the readings. Regrettably i didn't bring any other loads for other rifles that i have tested before. Any input would be appreciated.

with 52 grains of H4831 i get 2839 as an avg in a 30" barrel. i think that your chrono if lying to you. i would try again with a fresh battery and see if it varies any.

I am able to knock real hard on the 3100fps door, 26" barrel 3074fps avg, typical ES of 11-14fps using Retumbo. But in my 30" tube its pretty easy to get 3100 with 4831sc. You have a 24" barrel, you should be able to get atleast 2950 or more after the barrel settles in. Mike was a big help when getting the hunting load with Retumbo worked up and also another that shot good at 3009fps with H1000.

Assuming you checked your powder scale, sounds like a chronograph issue to me. I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions. My LRH generates 2945FPS with 53 gr of H4831sc and 3010FPS with the most recent lots of Retumbo with 59 gr. These velocities have been tested on three chronographs and drop data verified out to 1000 yards. I keep a supply of cartridges that have a known velocity to use as a standard to verify the velocity when I use my chronograph. I also do my testing when lighting conditions are similar to those I ran my standard load.

Seems low. But, does it really matter?

Change the battery and log your mv while you do a proper ladder test and find your highest accuracy node before getting signs of pressure.

Once you've got an accurate node, shoot at increasing distances and see how your drops compare to the velocity reported by you chrony.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.