Savage LRH 6.5x284

BML

Anyone shooting this Savage? I know there are several guys shooting custom builds in this same caliber, but I am looking to find someone who is shooting the Savage with no work done to them.

I own this rifle and have been having a hell of a time working up a load. Just trying to get some load data from someone who owns one to give me a better starting point. The load data I have been given from guys with custom builds hasn't worked at all.

Thanks!!

I too looked at that gun and was really interested in until a friend pointed out that if you took the muzzle brake off it would actually be like a 23 inch barrel, I guess the muzzle brake is pretty long on that gun, but he said the data that the guys who were using a true 26 inch barrel would not be the same in the savage. Whether that true or not?????
I feel your pain as it seems some guns are just a plain pain the behind to develop a load for. Good luck. You might want to look at maybe a faster burning powder, maybe a H4350 or H4831, don't rule out trying different primers too. Good luck and good shootin.

I don't have the LRH but I do have a savage or two in 6.5x284 and the barrel on the LRH is 24.25"s. I have had the best all around result with CCI BR2 primers and Imr4350, for a good starting point try a 140grn berger seated .005" or so in the lands and with norma or lapua cases start with 48grns 4350 with a CCI BR2 or 200 and work up to get the velocity up, you shouldn't see a lot of change in accuracy until you hit pressure which will be between 52-54grns, also get a good copper solvent, the fast twist savages copper and carbon foul pretty bad, but when there on there on, tack drivers! You will be able to get 3000fps with a 140 from that length barrel. Good Luck!

Hey backwoods have you noticed if the IMR 4350 is very temp sensetive??? I use to shoot IMR 4831 in my 7mm but that was on the Oregon coast so the temps during deer season were not that cold. But now that I live in Idaho the temps during hunting season are all over the board and with my new 280AI I see some people have some good loads with the IMR 4350 & 4831.

Imr4350 has virtually no change from 30* to 80*, not enough to have pressure issues unless your already borderline.

yours is the savage 111 lrh? they show on gunbroker for $779? not the f-class model 12 that weighs 14 pounds right?

49.5 H-4350 and either a 123 scenar or a 120 balistic tip ( for coues). the gun will tell you seating depth - 010, 0202, 0303. also will tell you primer- wlrm, 210m wlr, br-2. for bear/elk- 125 partition, 130 accubond, 140 accubond, 140 partition.

Thanks for all the tips. I appreciate it.

Ron-it is the 111, not the heavy bench rest model.

Biggest problem I'm having is not being able to get the OAL where I want. The throat measures 3.24 so the closest I've been able to get to the lands is .08. Nothing I can do about it except find a bullet that likes that much of a jump I guess.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Idk how you ended up with a 3.24 throat on a cartridge with a 2.17 max case length, but a 140 partition or accubond, or 142 SMK can be accurate with .080" jump.

The SAAMI spec chamber should measure no more than 2.245", which should only leave you .075" of freebore or .075" from case mouth to the lands, however you want to look at it. if you haven't made a dummy round, make one with a 3.25" OAL, push it in with the bolt and see where it ends up. If it measures way past 2.245" send it back because its way off.

I have a Savage LRH in 6,5x284. Had to relieve barrel contact at the very end of the stock. Don't like the muzzle brake. It's frozen in the on position since the second time out shooting. Just left it that way. Followed the instructions in the manual but it still locked up. Great trigger at 2.5 pounds. I was surprised that while it has an accustock, it doesn't use the wedge. It has the aluminum block but it is just slotted for the recoil lug.
Best load is Lapua headspaced .001", sized to .292" using Redding FLComp Dye, Berger 140 Hunting VLD at .075 off the lands, 53gr 4831sc, Fed Match Primer. Velocity average 2950fps. This load runs consistently under .5Moa at 100 yards with quite a few ragged one holers. The bench rest guys at my club couldnt believe a 1.3" 4 shot group it shot at 500 yards a couple of weeks ago. Great buy for the money.

I've been shooting mine a little.

So far 49.5g RL17, a BR2, a Nosler 140g Custom Competition@ 3.085" and 2940fps was pretty good.

51.5g H4831sc otherwise the same load was good...2840fps and a 3 shot group of .320".

Berger 140g end up jammed about .01" at 3.2"oal. I haven;t had them shoot decent groups yet though.

I've been too busy to shoot much lately.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the tips.

I'll get the throat re-measured just to be sure. I will also try loading up the dummy round and check that way as well.

I will also check the barrel for contact with the stock. As far as the muzzle break, I've never shot the gun with it in the on position. I don't really think a muzzle break on this gun is necessary anyway. Recoil is very minimal.

6,5-284norma.gif

Norma's dimensions from their website.

6,5x284 Norma | Norma Precision - ammunition

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts