Savage Lightweight Rifle

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by silvertip-co, Apr 9, 2011.

1. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

I see Savage has a new lightweight rifle. 6#. Wood stock. Corkscrew bolt for those younguns that like that kind of thing. Comes in three calibres 6.5-284, 270, 30.06. Apx $900.00 retail (but no one ever pays that). Nice thing is it aint 3000.00 or 6000.00. I may need to put one on my Christmas list.

2. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

If this is the one I am thinking of, one of the ways they got it light was tho chop the barrel way down. I was a little disappointed that they resorted to that.

3. cornstalker

cornstalker Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you.

4. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

They are using a 20" barrel. It's no different then buying a Model 7. The advantage is that you get a 20" instead of an 18". Another advantage is that you can buy it in a short action or a long action. They also took some weight off by milling down the external surface of the action, but not taking away from its strength. This rifle in my opinion is brilliant. If you want a long barrel, call the factory and have them install the barrel they have on the LRH. Still a lighter weight barrel than a heavy and may only add a pound to the finished weight. 26" and probably get it in a Magnum if you like. Personally the 270 would be my choice.

Tank