Savage Lightweight Rifle

silvertip-co

I see Savage has a new lightweight rifle. 6#. Wood stock. Corkscrew bolt for those younguns that like that kind of thing. Comes in three calibres 6.5-284, 270, 30.06. Apx $900.00 retail (but no one ever pays that). Nice thing is it aint 3000.00 or 6000.00. I may need to put one on my Christmas list.

I see Savage has a new lightweight rifle. 6#. Wood stock. Corkscrew bolt for those younguns that like that kind of thing. Comes in three calibres 6.5-284, 270, 30.06. Apx $900.00 retail (but no one ever pays that). Nice thing is it aint 3000.00 or 6000.00. I may need to put one on my Christmas list.

If this is the one I am thinking of, one of the ways they got it light was tho chop the barrel way down. I was a little disappointed that they resorted to that.

If this is the one I am thinking of, one of the ways they got it light was tho chop the barrel way down. I was a little disappointed that they resorted to that.

They are using a 20" barrel. It's no different then buying a Model 7. The advantage is that you get a 20" instead of an 18". Another advantage is that you can buy it in a short action or a long action. They also took some weight off by milling down the external surface of the action, but not taking away from its strength. This rifle in my opinion is brilliant. If you want a long barrel, call the factory and have them install the barrel they have on the LRH. Still a lighter weight barrel than a heavy and may only add a pound to the finished weight. 26" and probably get it in a Magnum if you like. Personally the 270 would be my choice.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.