Savage in .204 test

Alucard

I just returned home from the range. I was testing out a Savage model 12 Varmint in .204 Ruger. The rifle has a 26" fluted stainless barrel, with the varmint style wide front end laminent stock. The rifle has the AccuTrigger as well.

I was shooting 39gr Seirra Blitzkings, with 25.7 gr of Hodgeon Benchmark powder. The primer was a Federal 205 Small Rifle Match. Cartridge overall length is 2.400".

Well, I must say that this is one accurate factory rifle. At 100 yards with this load I put 5 shots into a 1/16" group.

I haven't tried these bullets on gophers yet, but I did try some of the 32gr V-Max bullets and some 40 gr V-mAx bullets. I was a little disappointed in the expansion. I was comparing the .204 to a .223 Rem using 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and a .220 Swift using 50 gr V-Maxs. Shot ranges were from 247 yards to 42 yards - used a laser range finder.

I would have to rate the explosive impacts still highest to the .220 Swift - no surprise there, followed by the .223 Rem. Perhapse it was just the bullets I had just weren't performing as they were supposed to, but I was disappointed in the expasion of the 20 cal bullets.

I would definately recommend the Savage rifles to anyone. They are nice to shoot, and shoot like a dream. Comments about the expansion tests welcome.

Try some Bergers in that thing. I havea 17 Rem that doesen't get shot much but it realy likes the Bergers accuracy wise and they seem to realy pop well. I had this gun built to shoot the longer high BC bullets and they don't realy blow up like you want but the lighter ones are awsome

A couple of friends and myself are just back from a prairie dog shoot in SE Montana. we had three model 12s. Two .204s and a .223 The 32 gr. V-Max did great jobs getting these critters airborne. Seemed to be ever bit as good as the 40 gr. nosler bt in my .223

Like your experience, the .204s shot extremely accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.