Savage fp in 223

that maybe pushing it. But, what the heck try it. After all it will give you more quality alone time at the range.
I have a savage 7mm rem mag and it loves 140 and 150 grn pills,( 3/4" 5 shot groups @100) But, 162 and 175 grn pills give me 2" 5 shot groups @100. For me the heavy pills dont work. Whereas a friend of mine has a Remington 700 bdl 7mm rm that loves 162 and 175 grn and the 150's for him not so good.
Try different weights and see what works for you, that is the only way to see what really works in your rifle.

I have a Stevens 200 in 223 1 in 9. I also have some 75gr hornady bullets on the way to give them a try. I will also try them in a 1 in 7.

I've loaded 75gr bullets for .223 out of my Remington 700 SPS Tactical w/ 1-9 twist and they shoot pretty well out to 300 yds. The 69gr SMK's are the bomb in that rifle however.

A tad heavy pill for your savage. I just loaded 300 65 grain V-Max with H322 for a customer, same rifle. I gave him 10 of my personal loads to try and 5 went down the same hole at 100 yards benching the rifle. Pertty good for a factory rifle with a Leupy rifleman scope.

I just adjusted his COAL for his personal chamber. Mine clocked a bit shorter than his.

IMO, bullet jump isn't as critical in smaller calibers as it is in larger calibers but it still plays into overall accuracy.

I tried the 75 amax in my AR w/ 9 twist and couldn't make it work. The 69 Sierra was the trick for me. Works well on deer too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.