savage for accuracy?

robinstan

Has any one had any experience with the new savage model 12bvss in the 300 win short mag? I would like to know how accurate it is out of the box and how sound it is built. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Should be a few folks here somewhere using the Sa... Sa... Sava...Savage (I knew I cound get that out). from the many reports the "S" word rifles shoot very well.
smile.gif

Chris , do you or have you built any guns on the Savage actions ?
If so how do you go about accurizing one
I'm thinking that you would indicate off the barrel threads to true the lug recesses and action face and I guess you'ld have to hand lap that floating head then lap the bolt face true ?

My 11Fl in 300 WSM will keep them in 3/4 inch, and is easy to shoot well. For a relatively light 300 magnum, that's fine for me.

As a professional rifle builder, I hate to admit it, but the **** things do shoot! the biggest problem with them is too many parts (so what do they do but add more to that stupid accutrigger!)and they will carry the rep of "cheap" with them.

Have found the Savage action to be as accurate to build on as the Rem 700. Had one 112 S/S after blueprinting, pillor bedding and a Basix trigger got 21/8" group @ 800 yds. Sierra 190 gr. M/K @ 2900 fps. Best 1000 group 101/2", this was shooters fault tho. Factory bbl. Usually use Lilja bbls. Indicate bolt face and Action like Rem. Use aftermarket lug,pinned, shoulder bbl....FWIW....jurras
shocked.gif

Fred Moreo over at Sharp Shooter Supply is reputed to be pretty handy at fixing up a Savage action; If you go to www.savageshooters.com and look thru the Articles page, I believe there is a photo tour of what all he does on a Savage action as far as trueing it up.

Question for about the Lilja barrels... I've been very interested in getting a Lilja barrel on my 6.5-08 XTC gun next time I need it rebarreled (Remington 700SA), but for an upcoming Savage 'project' gun I was kind of resigned to a Pac-Nor. Don't get me wrong, Pac-Nor's seem to work pretty darn nice for a lot of people, and that is what is currently on my 6.5-08. Just want to try the Lilja route. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Lilja offers pre-threaded and chambered barrels like Pac-Nor and some other manufacturers? Seems like having to dispense w/ the barrel nut and having a 'traditional' gunsmith cut a shoulder on the barrel shank and headspace the barrel for you would kind of defeat a large part of the attraction (for me at least). Not saying that having a barrel mounted thus might not be the better way to go for 'ultimate' accuracy; but the Savages I've seen so far shot pretty well w/ the barrel nut and all.

Monte

[ 08-22-2004: Message edited by: milanuk ]

I have built a couple on a Savage, didn't do a whole lot of trueing to the action to speak of. Made sure the lugs were touching and the face was square and barreled them up with a good barrel. both shoot under half-one 243 and one was a 308.

Guess my issue/gripe is the 1.5-3 months estimated wait time for a barrel, followed by 2-4 months depending on the gunsmith to get the dang thing chambered 'conventionally'. Six months, roughly. Ow. And if you change gunsmiths from the original one, you can toss out any chance, correct me if I'm wrong here, of being able to have him make you headspaced barrels ready for install w/o having to send the gun back in for x number of months...

In case you can't tell, I hate sending my gun off to anybody, for any length of time, particularly the not knowing when it'll come back, if I'll have to send it back again because of a miscommunication or lack of understanding on what was supposed to be done...

Monte

Monte, not trying to sell you anything but I don't have to have a gun 6 mo. With a deposit I order bbl of your choice. When bbl is in then you send gun. Have fixed price for chamber, threading , lug and pinning trigger etc...depends on stock as to whether I pillar or use v blocl...bbls over 27" 20 per inch...I specialize in LR stuff so recommend # 7 taper as minimum, unless 308, then HV taper, 24"...All other items optional...Like I said, this is not a sales pitch, just the way I handle it. I've put 30" #7 taper 25 cal bbls on customers sporter stocks w/ my pillar bedding and made them happy. Tho I would rather see a wider forearm...I always have my suggestions, but the customer makes final decision. Gun in shop after bbl, generally 30 days or less...All things subject to change but thats general rule. FWIW
wink.gif

I agree with you, Monte.
There is absolutely no reason to have ANY downtime with Savage barrel replacements. Just keep searching for a better gunsmith to chamber/finish it.
Preferably one who understands the difference between a Savage and a Remington.

What you say might be true in general for the bbl. nut theory Monte. Fine if you are set up with go,no-go guages . However with the shoulder properly set you can change bbls without having to worry about the guages, handy when in the field...Just something I do for my customers. Have seen too many people try to HS in the field with a cartridge
frown.gif
Just my views...to each his own....
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.