Savage FCP SR

ShootnMathews

I picked up a brand new never fired Savage FCP SR in a trade. 308 win.

Anything I should be looking for in it? Problem areas or anything? Some rifles just have somethings that you have to repeatedly fix on every one you touch. For example I've worked on several Marlin X rifles and every single one needed a lot of work to float the barrel. So are there any things like that on this rifle that I should be looking for?

Thanks

I just bought one a few weeks ago on impulse in 6.5 creed. This thing is STUPID accurate out of the box, I still can not believe how well it shoots! My biggest complaint on it is the cheap stock but thus far has not affected accuracy.

I just bought one a few weeks ago on impulse in 6.5 creed. This thing is STUPID accurate out of the box, I still can not believe how well it shoots! My biggest complaint on it is the cheap stock but thus far has not affected accuracy.

Savage builds them STUPID accurate out of the box with a cheap stock, just imagine if they build them with better stocks. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

A Bell & Carlson will fix that, or something similar.

I have a Fluted Varmint stock that my .22-250 came in that used to flex. I took it prepped the barrel channel and took the stiffest Fat Shaft carbon arrow on the market and bedded in down in the channel. NO MORE FLEX....

Savage builds them STUPID accurate out of the box with a cheap stock, just imagine if they build them with better stocks. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

My Savage model 12 in 22-250 was .25 with 52 SMK and the cheap junk stock. I slapped a Hs-Precision M24 and it made it shoot in the high .1s to low .2s

My Savage model 12 in 22-250 was .25 with 52 SMK and the cheap junk stock. I slapped a Hs-Precision M24 and it made it shoot in the high .1s to low .2s

Sweet!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 83
Well I shot this gun yesterday some. It seems pretty accurate. I haven't bought a good scope for it yet so I threw a *** scope I had laying around on it just to break it in. And then I went off and forgot my cleaning stuff at home so I put about 16 rounds through it without cleaning at the range. I was just too anxious to shoot it. I zeroed the scope at 100 and just held on the 250 yard silhouette and nailed it. Held about a foot or so high at 325 yards and nailed it. Turned to 600 yards and just guessed at a holdover on the 6" plate and to my surprise nailed it first shot. I used the same holdover to nail it 4 more consecutive shots. Which with the cheap scope really surprised me because I know it has a lot of parallax. I just did my best to center it in the scope before firing.

This shooting was with 168 grain gold medal match ammo. I am very surprised and now I really want to see what it will do with a good scope.

I have had three Savage 22-250's in the laminate stock. The first one was one of the C/M receivers with the stainless barrel. It started out shooting in the .430" range (5 shots). Once it had a hundred rounds thru it, it was a solid mid two's gun. Yet would occasionally dip into the .185" range. Sadly that rifle was stolen from me. I picked up one just like it except it had a magazine. It started out just like the other, and settled in shoot very low three's and high two's. The throat appeared to be going south, so I did a half inch barrel set back. Ground the recoil lug flat, and bedded it. Changed out the trigger to a rifle basix. Gun shoots .250" groups all day (the exact same load as the first one). Picked up a 12 BVSS-s in 22-250, it it's like a tape recording. Started out shooting .350" groups, and now is a mid two's rifle out of the box (have done nothing to this rifle except for scope and bases). I have swapped the barrel for a 6mm/.250 Ackley on the last two guns, and get solid .250"/.285" groups. Never planned on keeping the short action in 22-250, and have almost redone it in 6BR a couple times.

The Savage laminate stock is not perfect, but is probably the best factory laminate varmint stock. Does well with some minor tweaks that also pretty easy to do.

gary

I have had three Savage 22-250's in the laminate stock. The first one was one of the C/M receivers with the stainless barrel. It started out shooting in the .430" range (5 shots). Once it had a hundred rounds thru it, it was a solid mid two's gun. Yet would occasionally dip into the .185" range. Sadly that rifle was stolen from me. I picked up one just like it except it had a magazine. It started out just like the other, and settled in shoot very low three's and high two's. The throat appeared to be going south, so I did a half inch barrel set back. Ground the recoil lug flat, and bedded it. Changed out the trigger to a rifle basix. Gun shoots .250" groups all day (the exact same load as the first one). Picked up a 12 BVSS-s in 22-250, it it's like a tape recording. Started out shooting .350" groups, and now is a mid two's rifle out of the box (have done nothing to this rifle except for scope and bases). I have swapped the barrel for a 6mm/.250 Ackley on the last two guns, and get solid .250"/.285" groups. Never planned on keeping the short action in 22-250, and have almost redone it in 6BR a couple times.

The Savage laminate stock is not perfect, but is probably the best factory laminate varmint stock. Does well with some minor tweaks that also pretty easy to do.

gary

I only bought the rifle for a build that im doing. Im just shooting it until,i get my barrel. It just surprised me just how accurate it was i would never have exected it to shoot the way it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.