Savage build project

I will be using the stockade money saver prarie dog. Yeah I saw the PTG bolt heads on the web the other day, they look good.

Spoolhead1

I will be using the stockade money saver prarie dog. Yeah I saw the PTG bolt heads on the web the other day, they look good.

Spoolhead1

The prairie dog/tactical is an excellent stock. Make sure you get it ordered, because it's going to take a few months to get. My cousin has one with a 338 Lapua mounted in it. Works great, tracks great, and feels excellent in prone or bench. The PTG bolt head is the way to go for sure. It's really the first upgrade to the bolt head that I know of. My cousin just got a couple for a couple builds he is working on. He has a 300WSM and 6.5x47 Lapua on the burner. Just waiting for parts to come in. When you order your stock, I suggest getting the lift kit, and one of his bolt handles. They make the Savage action work really nice. I did the upgrade on my .308 and it made running the bolt a dream.

ditto on the bolt handle and lift kit. I talked to Kevin last week about progress on my rifle, and finally kicked myself into gear and ordered the bolt handle and lift kit.

get your order in ASAP, it takes quite a while

Another endorsement for Kevin Rayhill. He is a great guy and wonderful builder. He built me a 7WSM. Very accurate and reasonable build. For less than $2,000 he built me a true shooter. The gun has shot everything I have put in it sub-moa. I couldn't ask for more.

Here are a few options that Kevin offers that I think are worth while.

Adjustable cheek piece. The bolt won't touch the cheek piece when moved all the way back.

The picture with the bipod and grooved rail slides in the slot at the bottom of the forearm. The part that attaches to the bipod is to the right of the bipod.
Midwayusa sells the part that slides into the rail. It makes it much easer to attach & detach your bipod from the rifle. Kevin may offer them??

The last picture has a recessed sling swivel which is not grabbing your rear bag when target shooting. It leaves a smooth bottom of the rear stock.

joseph

Attachments

• cheek rest .JPG
    cheek rest .JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 67
  • forend .JPG
    forend .JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 73
  • forend rail .JPG
    forend rail .JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 70
  • paint 10.JPG
    paint 10.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.