Savage build project

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by spoolhead1, Oct 1, 2012.

1. spoolhead1

spoolhead1 Member

I will soon be in the market for a savage barrel. This build will be a dedicated long range rifle(for steel and deer) with a heavy barrel. My question: Who do I get to do my barrel work? I am considering a Brux and getting Devin Sinner at Sin Arms to do the chamber work. Anyone had any experience with his work or other suggestions? I want a 30" heavy barrel with brake and threaded for savage small shank. This will my first build, also on a budget, so I want to get it right the first time.

I have 300 RUM/ 210 bergers in mind unless someone can sway me in another direction.

Thanks for your input.

Spoolhead1

2. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I had Kevin Rayhill of Stockade Gunstocks build mine.

Contact Us - Stockade Gun Stocks

I told him that I wanted him to build me a shooter and he did. Best 5 shot group at 100 yds. is .084" and at 200 yds. is .375". 1.75" 3 shot 400 yard group. Last picture is 3 five shot groups at 1,000 yds. with the group sizes & scores in lower right. All 15 shots would hit in the boiler room of an antelope. gun) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

joseph

Attached Files:

3. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

What's the barrel life on the rum? Good glass is a must for distances . I'm not sure if the word budget will work . What about 300wsm or 7mm ? What's your budget like ? $1000- $1800 ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. spoolhead1

spoolhead1 Member

Probably not too much more than 12-1300 rounds? but with a 30" barrel I would have options after it becomes eroded.

Did Kevin just do the barrel work or did he do the complete rifle?

Spoolhead1

5. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

another nod to Kevin Rayhill,

He has my rifle right now, so, while I can't speak to quality yet, I can speak to his customer service. Kevin has been great whenever I had questions...just be prepared to spend more time on the phone than you think, he does like to chat

6. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

I would suggest you look into trying the 215 Berger Hybrid. I just started load development for my 300 RUM and did Bergers load recommendations from 130 thou off to 8 thou off. All shot at a inch or under at 100yds and is shooting around 5/8" at 200yds. Settled on 13 thou off the lands. Very easy bullet to load for. Hard to find in Canada though!

7. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

He did the complete rifle except i got the money saver stock which had to be filled sanded and painted by me. It was the first time I had ever painted a stock. It was a lot of fun, cost me about $20.00 and took less than 4 hours including drying time. Kevin and his wife did everything except finishing the outside of the stock.

Here is how I did it:

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Popguns stock is finished. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

I got my "Bling" back. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

8. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

That's awesome Joseph. The more times I see other people's rifles that Kevin has done, the more impatient I get to get mine back. It will be a semi custom build .308

9. spoolhead1

spoolhead1 Member

Yeah I am highly considering the 215 hybrid vld, probably start there. I sent Mr. Rayhill a quote request for a barrel and chambered. I would like to do most of the work myself, father/son project! Mr. Rayhill's work does look awesome! From my understanding most any custom barrels are great, but what makes the barrel a shooter is the chamber/throat cutting? Correct me if I'm wrong. I am no gunsmith but I am very mechanical minded so I think I can handle the project with help from the professionals, from this forum, and your advise.

Spoolhead1

10. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Brux will send Kevin a blank that Brux guaranties to be match grade. That is what I did. Then Kevin can chamber, turn the taper , length, threads and crown.

joseph

11. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

huh...shows how much I know, didn't realize Kevin did barrels other than Benchmark, which is what I ordered....yay for having brain farts

12. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

If it will fit in a lathe he could probably make one out of a Louisville Slugger. :D

joseph

13. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

and knowing him...I don't doubt he might try if someone requested it. I may just have to plan another build to have him make me an elk thumper

14. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Kevin Rayhill uses Benchmark barrels from what I understand. They chamber and ship for around $450. That's not bad. I used a Lothar Walther, but after the experience my cousin had with the rep on the phone, Benchmark will more likely be my next barrel. Savages are fun to build. I built mine using a B&C Medalist A2 stock. Next Savage build is getting a Stockade. The gun I built just plain shoots. I will suggest getting a bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge. They are machined with better steel where the factory bolt head is a forged head. Have fun!

Tank