savage bolt

clwest1

working on savage model 11 in 300wsm changing to 260 rem what do i need to chage on the bolt to make it work i also have a model 112 target varmint in 300wm that i was thinking of putting a 308 or 6.5x284 what will i need to change on the bolt and follower on it thanks

For the 11, you will need a short action 308 bolt head and a regular short action firing pin assembly. Depending on the age of your WSM, you may need to take out the standing ejector if yours is CRF.

For the 112, all you'll need is a bolt head. The magazine and follower will work buy you may need to tweek the feed lips a bit.

Don't forget that your WSM action is large shank. You'll need a large shank barrel when you swap to 260.

Your 112 is a small shank, those should be easy barrels to find.

this is interesting for me. about 2 years ago i aquired a model 11 in 243.
i took it to a (gunsmith)? and had a new barrel installed in 6.5. i decided i wanted to use the 270 short mag case. i bought a new bolt head and magazine parts for the short mag.
i wanted to keep the magazine as it would be a carrying type hunting rifle.
the long and short of it is the magazine never worked.
the gunsmith couldnt fix it and finaly just gave up on it.
i got some advice on savage shooters about tuning the lips. no luck on that either. i got lots of advice period. i asked who i could send it to and no responce. even from the savage guru.
so if your intending on using the magazine be prepared for some problems.
hopefully the 260 would be a better choice for you.

i am watching this post. i don't have a savage (yet) but i was under the impression that, besides the magazine, all you needed to change from wsm to 308 and vice versa was the other bolt head. what is the difference in the firing pin assembly?is it the diameter of the pin/hole? thanx

i am watching this post. i don't have a savage (yet) but i was under the impression that, besides the magazine, all you needed to change from wsm to 308 and vice versa was the other bolt head. what is the difference in the firing pin assembly?is it the diameter of the pin/hole? thanx

Length. The WSM has thicker lugs than the other two short action bolt head sizes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.