Savage Bolt

Glad you took my post for what it was Cruizin, I just cant help myself I gotta razz the collage boys :D
Savages are fun guns mainly because you can do most of the work on them yourself...If you run into any other issues ask away, the first one can be a little confuseing till you figure out how easy it really is to change,swap and customize a Savage.

This ones gonna be my 06 unit(25-06,280ai and 30-06).The barrels where aquired in a gun swap a few years, the action was picked up from Mr Jones if I remember right, the 20MOA base is a EGW and the stock was a cheap laminent pickt up from Sportsmanguide a while back on sale. Just waiting for a triggerguard and a scope to show up.
reload%20001.jpg

Only the two blued barrels are original, all of the stocks have been at least bedded if not totaly reworkt. There is a couple of different custom triggers in the single shoots that break just a tad better than the reworked 3 screw factory ones but not much;)

8-07%20Savages.jpg

MachV,

The second rifle counting from the buttom, the one with the bipod, what is your experience with that rifle? Bipod being almost under the recoil slug and kind of light. How does it behave when you shoot it?

MachV,

The second rifle counting from the buttom, the one with the bipod, what is your experience with that rifle? Bipod being almost under the recoil slug and kind of light. How does it behave when you shoot it?

Its a 204 so the recoil was never an issue but after I moved the sling stud back it sure was easier to see hits. I've got just over 1000 rounds through it under all conditions @ prairie dogs. There is a lite 243 barrel sitting here I was planning on swapping in for speed goats but?? The lite tupperware stocks are noted for bouncing off the bipods, moveing the stud back realy helps settle it down...Fer me at least. The lighter the barrel the farther you can move the stud back, you dont want it too far back or they get barrel heavy.
DSC00490.JPG

Glensdogs%20040.jpg

MachV , I like that stock forend desgine :D

I like Savages , for the money their nearly impossible to beat for out of the box accuracy.

Cruizin : as a side note on the firing pin , the little four prong nut on the top and bottom of the spring is how the tension and pin protrusion is set , I advise leaving those setting alone unless their is an issue that calls for adjustment.
as for the engineers , welllll , for the most part the guys that have had some sort of real world experiance arn't bad to work with , but Lockheed Martin hires some of the most ignorant green yahoos I've ever run accross and we constantly have arguements over what can and should be done but after a year or so they settle down take their head out of their butt and relize their wasteing their time here and move along to a better company

I just put together a Savage target action and sure did like how easy it was to change the bolt face and firing pin compared to working on my Rem XP 100s. I changed it to a WSM.
MachV I"ll be in your town in two weeks for another antelope hunt. Sure have some nice people there!!

Mike

James;;; Thought you might like that design ;) For those that dont know the black stock on the bottom was revamped by James and fits my hand and style of shooting like a glove!!
Ya beat me to the pin protution ? and answered it bettern I would have anyway. I bought a J action a while back from a guy that couldnt get it to fire, I just adjusted the pin and it goes bang now. Like James said it usualy is not an issue as long as the gun fires and does not pierce the primmers for unknown reasons.

Eaglet;;; I like to tinker, my first centerfires where/are Rugers but Savage/Stevens have kinda taken over because of the ease of working on them myself. I'll try anything once, if it works, the pain and/or jailtime aint to bad =you'll see me do it again :D

yotefever;;; There's nice people around here
scared.gif
and goats
outta%20here.gif
Use to live a stonesthrow from LaCross, if you run into something you need help with or just want to shoot the bull over coffee drop me a line!

free advise!
Running a website aint cheap and done right takes a lot of time!!
Pay the $12 and give sss and northlander a call or two, being an engineer your gonna need it :d
i could give you a lot more advise but its been my experience that as an engineer you will not listen anyway!!
This advise brought to you by the poor uneducated sarcastic smuck that has to make engineered parts work:)

a big amen on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.