Savage barrel thread size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wadedc, May 3, 2007.

1. wadedc

wadedc Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying a 10fp mcmillan or 12 precision varmiter and would like to know if they have the larger size threads to accept WSM barrel.

2. sharpshooter1

sharpshooter1 Well-Known Member

The Mcmillan does not, but the LRPV does..... If you want a WSM, I would suggest buying a target action, adding a barrel in caliber of your choice, and putting it in a compatable stock....(The only problem with the LRPV and target actions..... Three stock bolts instead of two)

3. wadedc

wadedc Well-Known Member

Smart thinking, thanks for the info.

4. wadedc

wadedc Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The Mcmillan does not, but the LRPV does..... If you want a WSM, I would suggest buying a target action, adding a barrel in caliber of your choice, and putting it in a compatable stock....(The only problem with the LRPV and target actions..... Three stock bolts instead of two)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is three stock bolts a problem?

5. 1doug

1doug Well-Known Member

Its not, just a new action and the stock makers havent got set up for them yet

d-a

6. sharpshooter1

sharpshooter1 Well-Known Member

You are really limited to the HS precision stock that comes from Savage, or a stock from SharpShooter Supply.

7. wadedc

wadedc Well-Known Member

I could buy a 12 BVSS in 300wsm and hope I get a shooter and add a better tigger, but are the stocks very good quality? I like the buy a target action and add a quality barrel and stock idea except I live in canada and shipping, duty and exchange can get quite expensive. Can you get the target action with a WSM bolt head? Could buy a 12 F/TR and a 300 WSM bolt head and barrel never hurts to have a spare .308 on hand.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I want to make the right decision insted of kicking myself later.

8. wadedc

wadedc Well-Known Member

Hey sharpshooter any more thoughts on my dilemma?

Thanks

Wade