Savage Axis for long range gophers?

Have considered chopping the stock like I did to the last Stevens I built but leaving it a tad longer so the bipod doesnt get in the way as bad.

Glensdogs%20040.jpg

Then to help keep the weight down just use a couple of short arrow shafts and Great Stuff to fill the voids. Then just skim bed the whole works and glue the trigger assembly of the stock to the stock, dont plan on makeing it into a short action anyway!
The trigger has got to be the worse *** I've ever worked on but putting in a replacement totaly defeats the perpose of a cheap gun so I'll have to work on it a little more to get it down to 2 1/2 -3 lbs or so, right now I can see the x hairs move as I put a death grip on the trigger to get the **** thing to fire. Lightening the spring helped a little but not enough.
The clips are spendy *** that are definatly not tuff enough as is to be reliable so that is going to take a little work to fix. The broken ejecter was self indused trying to find a max load of Data 85 powder, Data 85 works ok but is way too temp sensitive to use in the heat of the summer!
Like I said its an uphill battle as the Axis is what it is and trying to make it something it aint can be a little agrivating at times=Its been given a time-out in the safe till I get bored enough to get back to it, timel tell:D
i have one in 223 for coyote hunting, my brother has one in 243 win for coyote/deer hunting, and my dad has one in 308 win for a backup rifle and i agree 100% about the HEAVY,CREEPY trigger. It is a PITA to try to work up loads for!

Thanks FEENIX!! how much do they retail for? I tried to do a little looking but my computer wouldnt let me.

Without taking over this thread I suppose this is the time i reiterate that i am trying to prove to MYSELF that its possible, not change the world and make the axis the new rem 700, i know ill never get it that good but if i can stay within about 12 inches at 1000 ill be very happy and i really think i will since im head shooting foxes at past 400.

I know that will open the can of worms too, but just saying ill never afford a rem 700 so my axis will just have to be good enough, and if anyone else wants to tag along im happy to share.

I did not read every word of every post on this thread but did skim. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting with a "cheap" action for a build but an Axis/Edge is not the one. Spend your money on a Stevens 200 which is about the same price as an Axis. All the parts for Savage and Stevens are interchangeable. You can build very accurate rifles with these actions. Other than looks, which is a matter of opinion, a rifle built on a Savage/Stevens will leave nothing to be desired when compared to a 700.

Since my Edge is twice as accurate as my last m 700 . Both in 223 and much more reliable at chambering. Like out of 400 rounds I have had 2 failures to feed with the Edge. The model 700 averaged more than 1 failure to feed per mag load. .
The trigger was easy for me to fix. I cut 2 wraps off the spring and stretched it to original length. I used a sharp knife and cut the recoil pad off at where the vents start. Made my own sling from 10 oz cow leather and mounted a bipod on it . It shoots. 25" groups at 100 yards as long as I can shoot them.
I may get one in 25/06 and 243 just to try the 25/06 out
And I plan to get a youth model in 223 for my wife.

I'm not crazy about the magazines, and I hope Stockies or Boyd's makes a laminated thumbhole stock for them.
I have the rifle with me everyday all winter which lasts 6 months here .. The groups stay small and the rifle maintains zero from 75 above to 40 below zero degrees F so far. .
Yes I worry about the stock snapping off at the wrist from falling on it in the cold or dumping a snowgo. I like the trigger guards size. A heavy insulated glove fits into it without touching the trigger. But I wish it was made from steel.

machV.
My gunsmith only charged me $50 for the trigger job, the average price around here is about $70 so i was happy, especially since he played with the bedding and decided no, not just did it and charged me too and then we discussed for about 30 mins about my next moves in regards to making it a good long ranger.

Just to note, here in Aus this is a $500 rifle not a $200 one like there in the states, just like a ruger 10/22 is a $800 rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.