Savage Axis 25-05 Left Hand Bolt action

I had a righty in '06 for about a month when back they were called edge. It shot moa but the trigger was poor and the scope was a better hammer than scope. I'd put good glass in it and take a turn off the trigger spring to lighten the pull weight; an aftermarket trigger may also be available by now but I'm not sure.

Thanks Lefty7mmstw, this was a straight rifle buy, the combo came with the Accu-trigger, so I'm going to check into exchanging that, I'm looking at a Mueller 4x16x50 scope, as I want to hunt Coyotes at a distance.
I've read a lot on ammo, and I'm going to try the Barnes X in a 117gr.
Ineed to contact my buddy who reloads.
Thanks fr you reply.
Sincerely "Calling The Wild" gun)

Part of me wishes I'd kept that savage and re-scoped to something better. I'm two trades down the road on that one now. I've ended up with a lh tikka lite ss in 270 win and she's a sweet rifle. The savage rifles aren't much to look at but they will get the job done.

Hi Lefty, I've been reading a lot on these Axis, pretty sweet shooting out of the box, waiting for mine to come in, as I said I'm going to put on a Mueller 4x16x50.
I know these are not top of the line, but i don't make that kind of money.

I have contacted a couple of barrel makers to see about putting a longer barrel on it. I'll keep you posted as to how it shoots when I get it all set up.
Thanks for your input.
"Calling The Wild" gun)

I'm looking at ordering a youth model .243 for the wife. Everything I've read says the shoot great. I was skeptical about the recoil lug setup but it seems to do ok. Easy to adjust the trigger and changing barrels is just like any other savage. Hard to go wrong for the price.

Hi Rick, thats what I thought on the price, I wanted to get back to Deer Hunting here in Michigan, and do some Coyote Hunting as well.

I'm checking now if I might be able to put a longer barrel on it down the road.
I had to Order mine, being a lefty, so its not in my hands yet, as soon as that happens, then I'll call Savage to see what the Barrel lug design is and go from there.
Thanks for your Reply Post.
CTW. gun)

about 2 years ago I worked up a reduced recoil load for a young shooter . her Dad bought her an axis in 308 .the recoil was too much for her . after I shot it a few times I decided the scope was junk , so I had them get a 3-9 nikon prostaff . the trigger is very heavy , I'm thinking around 6 or 6.5 lbs . I didn't do anything with it . there is a trigger available for the axis rifles , it cost around $100 . this rifle shot well for the price . here are a few targets from 100 yds . for a cheap rifle this one shot well .

I was playing with seating depth .

she shot it well . I made a scope adjustment between these groups .

she put 3 good hits on this deer target .

The savages have a 1 piece recoil lug that sandwiches between the action and barrel nut. The Axis has the top half of the recoil lug as part of the action. The bottom half stays with the stock and slips in between the nut and action. Not sure why they changed it to this way. Must be cheaper. Swapping barrels is just like on a regular savage. You can do it at home with a barrel vise and nut wrench and go - no go gauges. Swapping stocks is a different deal though since the recoil lug is in the stock. From what I understand you can have the top half of the lug removed from the action in a lathe then just install a regular lug and stock.

Thanks Rickdavis81.
I'll do some more checking, I like what your telling me about Barrel changing.
and will put a longer Barrel if I can do so, I've always liked long barrels on a Rifle.
CTW gun)

Re: Savage Axis 25-06 Left Hand Bolt action

Thanks Lefty7mmstw, this was a straight rifle buy, the combo came with the Accu-trigger, so I'm going to check into exchanging that, I'm looking at a Mueller 4x16x50 scope, as I want to hunt Coyotes at a distance.
I've read a lot on ammo, and I'm going to try the Barnes X in a 117gr.
Ineed to contact my buddy who reloads.
Thanks fr you reply.
Sincerely "Calling The Wild" gun)

You dont need 117 gr slugs for coyotes...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.