Savage 338 Edge, wow! does it shoot!

AJ Peacock

I finally got all my parts together and slapped it together last night. I went out and did a little barrel brake in this afternoon (11 shots) and I'm more than pleased.

The rifle consists of a Short Action / Large shank Savage Action with Accutrigger.
28" Pac-Nor chambered Super Match SS barrel
SSS machined recoil lug and barrel nut
Defensive Edge 1" 4 port brake.
Joel Russo A5 Laminate stock
Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NXS with NP-R1 reticle
DedNutz one piece scope base/rings.

338EdgeSavage.jpg

I shot one group at the end of my session. It measured .362 center to center! The load is the standard 92gr H-1000, CCI 250, 300gr SMK loaded about .010" off lands. Averaged right at 2750 with my CED and Infra red screens. I could shoot this rifle all day, it has very very gentle recoil!

338EdgeGroup.jpg

I am very pleased to say the least!

AJ

Wow looks nice! I'm considering one of Shawn's light wt customs.

Congratulations.

Regards,
JohnT

Wow looks nice! I'm considering one of Shawn's light wt customs.

Congratulations.

Regards,
JohnT

I am certain you won't be disappointed, Shawn does great work, he Teflon coated my 338AM and built/installed the brake on this Savage (both great jobs).

AJ

Real sweet, especially for "slapped together". :D
I'm impressed, to say the least. How do you like the one-piece base/rings? Any weight savings there, or just sturdier? -- Don

Real sweet, especially for "slapped together". :D
I'm impressed, to say the least. How do you like the one-piece base/rings? Any weight savings there, or just sturdier? -- Don

This is my first experience with the Dednutz system. They seem good and solid. They are very light. After I installed the base, I lapped the rings and installed the scope. With the big muzzle brake, there isn't much recoil, and I expect the rings/base to hold up really well. I used this action/scope for about 300 rounds of 300WSM without a brake and it held perfectly. To tell you the truth, I decided to try them out because they are only around $65, which compares favorably to other options :D.

It's easy to slap things together once the stock is finished and bedded, the scope is mounted and the muzzle brake is installed. Installing a barrel and driving to the range are pretty easy!

AJ

How is it too load and unload with the short action. I have one sitting on my work bench waiting for me to get around too ordering a barrel and stock for it.

Will

How is it too load and unload with the short action. I have one sitting on my work bench waiting for me to get around too ordering a barrel and stock for it.

Will

Loading and shucking an empty is just like any other rifle. Getting a loaded round out requires pulling the bolt, which takes about 3 seconds.

AJ

I was wondering about that, I was playing with a 7mag and it looked like it might work. Now I know I guess.

I think I am going to go with something a little cheaper too shoot probably a 243 or 260 or possibly a short mag of some sort.

Will

I am certain you won't be disappointed, Shawn does great work, he Teflon coated my 338AM and built/installed the brake on this Savage (both great jobs).

AJ

AJ, Wish you hadn't said that. Making it too easy to spend more $$$!:D

Regards
JohnT

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.