savage .270 rebarrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by hillsidehogz, Feb 5, 2013.

1. hillsidehogz

hillsidehogz Member

I have a savage .270 bought new in 1991 that won't hold a group anymore & did lil reading on here about converting to a. 280AI. I liked the idea, question is..Is my old savage action worth working with? Could the action be trued aswell or close anyway like a 700 to give me sub moa @ 100? Would actually like to get .5" or better @ 100 if doing this putting money into a Hart or Krieger barrel. Any thoughts & experience needed? Thanks in advance!

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

The short answer is yes it is worthy. Nothing against. 280 AI but why not just rebarrel it and stay with the .270 Win. Have 1:8 or 1:9 twist and take advantage 165/175 VLDs from Matrix, the soon to be available 170 from Berger and 150 from Nosler... this way you can use your brass tyat hopefully you saved. There's an excellent article about the. 270 at the Technical Articles above. You can also use the search function at the very top right.

I rebarreled mine to. 270 AI and very pleased with it thus far. Search for "budget. 270 AI" and you'll see what I did with mine ... I'd provide you link but I'm responding via my droid and struggling with it ... sorry.

Good luck!

3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

4. hillsidehogz

hillsidehogz Member

Awesome, thank you!