Savage 25 Walking Varminter help

thumbs

On my quest for a new .223 varmint rifle I have made a bunch of stops. The latest one is the Savage Walking Varminter in .223. I finally decided on a .223 good bad or indifferent. For me I think it is the way to go. Anyway I am interested in a PD rifle but mostly a groundhog rifle.

I was wondering about the Savage 25 action. I am not a Savage expert so I don't know one action from the other good bad or indifferent.

If you have one what are your thoughts? Most of my PD shots were under 300 yards but I would like to be about to stretch that out a bit. Will this rifle do it? I realize I am the weak link but when I miss I would like to know it was in fact me.LOL Any infer would be great on this rifle.

thanks for the help

I have owned two Savage 25s; I'd look elsewhere. There are plenty of other rifles in .223 out there for about the same money that are arguably better, e.g.: CZ 527, Howa, Remington 700s, other Savage models; a TC Venture or one of those Varmint ADLs @ Dick's would be more gun at the same or maybe lower price. Or maybe pay a little more for a Tikka.
Just can't recommend this Savage model with a clear conscience.

Thanks

I was also thinking about the 11/111 trophy hunter xp. It isn't much heavier. My concern is being able to shoot multiple rounds without the barrel moving off zero.

Thought about the hog hunter in .223 also. Same action heavier barrel. Mossberg's mvp in .223-5.56 would be great if it will shoot straight. Don't know one way or the other on that one.

What I am running into is a lot of the manufacturers are producing their .223's in a 1:12 twist. Seems to me that is a little slow for heavier bullets. I check the Howa and the T/C. I like them both and the T/C is selling for a heck of a deal till the end of the month but they are 1:12 twist. If I could stabilize a 69 grain bullet with this twist I would consider it. Not saying that I want to go that heavy but I don't want to be stuck with 40grain bullets.

I think I would go for the T/C if it would stabilize heavier bullets and the thin barrel wouldn't change poa when it got warm.

Thanks I think they are running 1:10.

Do you have any exp with or know about the Savage Trophy Hunter xp? Of course I am looking for it in .223. Also what is your exp with the barrels heating up over extended shooting periods like PD hunting? I know I can let it cool and will but was wondering if they heat quickly? Wondering if the standard or medium barrel would work best?

Mossberg's mvp in .223-5.56 would be great if it will shoot straight. Don't know one way or the other on that one.

I own on of these are was pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots. Seems like it was a 1 MOA gun at 100 yards with most factory stuff, except for Federal Gold Medal 69 Matchkings, these were easily 1/2 MOA and good at distance too. So I started reloading for it and use 69 Matchkings over Varget and the gun can shoot 1" groups at 300 yards.

Seems Mossberg copied most of the Savage ideas for the rifle. It has a floating bolt head, trigger is a lot like a "Accutrigger", has a bedding block (plastic but it seems to work), and even uses a barrel nut.

Some issues:
Trigger is very crisp but heavy. It's a light gun and a lighter trigger would help. It goes down to about 2.5 lbs. but a 1.5 lb trigger would be better. There is an aftermarket trigger for it that is supposed to be good. It's about $70.

Has a shorter pull length. Made for juniors I guess. I just added a Limbsaver on the butt and it now perfect for me.

There is a lack of aftermarket parts for it... You could probably change the barrel yourself just like a Savage but I have heard the the barrel threads are different. So no prefits unless you ordered it special for the Mossberg.

Barrel is pretty good in the heat department though. It seems to be a medium weight varmint barrel. Ang I am guessing button rifled.

Nice rifle for the price. Probably better than the Savage 25 for sure.

Thanks Barrelnut

I have been seeing pretty good reviews on the MVP. I know some of the reports may be a little one sided but from the info I can get they seem to be shooters. What length barrel is on your rifle?

I'm trying to find one to take a look at.

I am the OP....

Not sure maybe I should start another thread but I have another question. I have an AR that requires a small base die to allow the 5.56 once fired brass to cycle. Since the advantages of the MVP is it's 5.56 compatibility, ammo and AR mags, how will this brass that has been resized with a small base die work in a bolt rifle? I have read you don't want to use brass that has been run through the small base die in a bolt rifle. Is this true and if so why not?

thanks

It's the 24" barrel.

As for the small base dies - Brass sized with them should work in a bolt gun just fine. I believe small base dies actually size the brass to minimum SAAMI or something so they will cycle better in an AR. They also work the brass more by doing this. You might be able to adjust a small base die though so that it only bumps the shoulder back the way most folks setup FL dies for brass that will be fired in the same chamber.

I have shot and resized 5.56 Lake City brass in my MVP just fine with regular Hornady FL dies.

Being able to use my .223 and 5.56 ammo in the same rifle, like the AR, is a major plus for the MVP at east for me. What would mean I wouldn't have to necessarily keep the separated. I "think" after resizing the once fired military brass with the small base die will solve the problem. My rounds chamber fine but if I try to clear the chamber it tough as the devil to get the round out. The base of the brass is about .003 oversize from factory measurements. I think I will only have to use the small base die once on the new to me brass. Maybe they meant it isn't necessary to use a small base die in the bolt gun. Idono

Since you own one of the MVP's how do you think it would do as a varmint rifle out to say 400 yards for prairie dogs?

Well... I don't think it could run with a Savage MODEL 12 varmint rifle, but I think you could have sucess with it at 400 yards. I got a couple of .3 MOA groups at 300 yards last time out with it. Think the thing holding it back the most is the trigger.

Plan on shooting a 300 RUM at 600 yards next Tuesday. Time permitting, I'll pull out the MVP and see what it does at 600. It is doing 2900 FPS with the 69 Matchkings so I sould only need about 10 MOA of elevation and believe I can dial that.

Most people who like the MVP like it cause they have LOTS of 5.56 ammo and clips.

Yep that's why it's interesting to me. I have over 1000 rounds of 5.56 which I won't run in a .223. I am still considering a Savage Trophy Hunter though. Haven't put one in my hands yet but looking to find one.. I did see the Savage Hog Hunter in .223 though. I really liked it. Medium barrel, threaded and of course the Acu trigger. The two things that are holding me back is the chambering in both and the enclosed mag in the hog hunter. Don't really mind the enclosed mag as long as it had a drop plate but I guess you have to run the bolt to get the rounds out. I have one in another rifle but the drop plate makes it a non issue for me.

Let me know how you make out with the mvp at 600. I can't see that far but it would be nice to find out. I did see a review on youtube where a guy was shooting at 500yards. Once he found the hold over it did pretty darn good. I think he had the varmint model.

FWIW, I have shot the Savage 25 223 many times. I don't own one but a friend does. It groups like any other savage out there and by that I mean many rounds through one little hole. He bought it for his daughter and she does really well with it. I think to date she has taken an antelope at 200+ and a few deer at various ranges.

The only thing I don't like about the 25 and the reason I will probably never own one is the action itself. It feels to much like a rimfire to me. I guess I like my centerfire rifles to feel like centerfire rifles. But if your looking for a rifle that will shoot POA all day every day, you could do a lot worse than a model 25.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.