Savage .243 vs Rem 700 6mm

skandlus

The Savage is only 2-3 yrs old, has accutrigger and shoots great.

The Rem is an older BDL, bedded stock and no real trigger work done.

The rifle would be used for deer/antelope out to 5-600yds, maybe... but then at that distance I have other stuff that'll do the trick. Lastly, the rifle would be used mainly by my boys as they begin deer hunting(1 that is 10 right now)

Im not opposed to converting the 6mm to a diff cal or rebarrel.

The Savage is only 2-3 yrs old, has accutrigger and shoots great.

The Rem is an older BDL, bedded stock and no real trigger work done.

The rifle would be used for deer/antelope out to 5-600yds, maybe... but then at that distance I have other stuff that'll do the trick. Lastly, the rifle would be used mainly by my boys as they begin deer hunting(1 that is 10 right now)

Im not opposed to converting the 6mm to a diff cal or rebarrel.
Horse a-piece. They'd both be fine.
Personally I'd look for a m7 in 243 or ruger m77 carbine in 243. The shorter rifle will fit their stature better the first few years and can still be used as a carbine later. Maybe compromise and get wich-ever isn't as muzzle heavy and put an aftermarket carbine stock on it to start with.

thanks for the words... was my question unclear? I am looking for advice on some good options. anyone?

I own both rifles and just dont see a need for both similar calibers. What would be some options for these 2 rifles ? rebarrel/true up the 6mm or completely rechamber,etc to a larger, longer range caliber for my sons? .260, 7mm-08, 7mm short mag...?

I own both rifles and just dont see a need for both similar calibers. What would be some options for these 2 rifles ? rebarrel/true up the 6mm or completely rechamber,etc to a larger, longer range caliber for my sons? .260, 7mm-08, 7mm short mag...?
I'd sure think of what you've said, with the 7-08 or 260 at the top of the list, since they are standard cases and don't require bolt face work- shouldn't require action work to get it feeding either.
Both the 260 and 7-08 have pretty good trajectories and can reach out rather well for a short action. If you put a 7-08 in a 26" barrel it will be around 200 -300 fps shy of 7 rem ballistics with mid-weight bullets. A 140 at 2900 fps is dang good medicine out past the 1/4 mile range for deer, etc. without a lot of hold-over.
You could put an aftermarket bolt in your rem and make it a 7 saum or either 270 or 7mm wsm if you want to pony up a bit. The 30 cal option becomes a bit more likeable with a mag bolt since a 300 wsm can be done. I simply love the long 300 win, and in a 24-26" barrel the wsm is pretty dang close. The mag cartridges may require a bit of feed ramp work but your gun-smith will be able to tell you on that.

Both will work fine for the application. But my personal experience it that for young shooters the calibers leave little room for error on shot placement. Much prefer the 7mm-08 for the youth. Both my daughters started out on mule deer with a Rem model 7 youth in 7mm-08. So I guess my vote would go with a re-barrel job.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.