savage .243 to .300wsm

Savagebien

If I was going to use my savage short action rifle in .243 and build it into a .300wsm would i need a different stock to accept the .300wsm rounds? I know i'll need a different bolt head. I'm looking at shilen barrels because they offer prethreaded and chambered barrels. would i have to get a different recoil lug and barrel nut? Do shilen bbls come with those? Thanks!

Don't need a different stock, probably need a different mag box and follower if you are going to use it as a repeater. I would get a different lug because the factory ones aren't very thick/straight/well made, you'll have to buy it seperately. The barrel nut will be fine.

The problem you'll run into doing this is that the 243 will have a push feed bolthead with a plunger type ejector located in the bolthead. The WSM needs a control round feed bolthead which has a mechanical type ejector which is located in the back left of the action, it doesn't exist on a push feed action.

This can however be overcome, sorta, you can switch to a long action magnum bolthead for a push feed action and it will function fine for a single shot WSM, feeding from the mag however will ah.....leave a lot to be desired if it works at all.

If you go the single shot route you will still need a little work done on the bolthead. On the back of the short action bolthead there is a small indentation that is not present on the long action bolthead, you'll need to have one machined into it. Last one I had done cost me $50 including the long action bolthead.

Hope this helped.

Chris

I did the same thing except I used a long action. As stated in the post above, the feeding is fair at best. I'm still try to figure out how to make it work better.

Savage makes a short action push feed magnum bolt head. The new centerfeed short mags are push feed. You'll need a new front baffle and firing pin to use it. Or as stated you can have a long action bolt head cut to fit, or have a slot machined in the action for a standing ejector and use the CRF colt head. The new centerfeed actions are supposed to feed the short mag cartridges better, you don't mention which you have. If you talk to Sharp Shooter Supply they could probably send you a package with everything you need to make the switch.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.