Savage 12fvss 308

BigNed69

Hello all, I'm new to this forum & long range shooting. Well here goes,I bought a Savage model 12FVSS 308 26"bull barrel used. When at the gun shop I noticed that a screw was missing from the trigger guard and when I opened the bolt and slid it back it clicked and would not close the bolt. Well I talked the sales person down from $695 to $300, I got it. I bought a Boyds thumb hole stock & made it with a detach magazine barris bipod & Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5 x 12 x 40 Matte BDC. I have never shot passed 100yds is this a good set up for long range shooting?? I have shot it at 100yrds and 3 shots 3 bulls eyes, what type of ammo is good for long range shooting say 300 to 500 yards???? Thanks Nedgun)

Savage Model 12FVSS 001.jpg

Savage Model 12FVSS 003.jpg here is my gun Savage model 12FVSS 308 26" bull barrel Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5 x 12 x 40 Matte BDC

Hello all, I'm new to this forum & long range shooting. Well here goes,I bought a Savage model 12FVSS 308 26"bull barrel used. When at the gun shop I noticed that a screw was missing from the trigger guard and when I opened the bolt and slid it back it clicked and would not close the bolt. Well I talked the sales person down from $695 to $300, I got it. I bought a Boyds thumb hole stock & made it with a detach magazine barris bipod & Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5 x 12 x 40 Matte BDC. I have never shot passed 100yds is this a good set up for long range shooting?? I have shot it at 100yrds and 3 shots 3 bulls eyes, what type of ammo is good for long range shooting say 300 to 500 yards???? Thanks Nedgun)

Good price! That will get you hooked for sure. A word of warning....once you get to 500 you are going to want to go to 800, then 1000, then.....well you get the idea :) You will start reloading, then you will start handloading (there is a difference). Soon you will start speaking another language, using strange words like; metplat, ogive, sectional density, ballistic coefficient and retumbo. You will be obsessing over acronyms like; oal, fps and moa and your wife won't know *** you are talking about.

It's a blast! Have fun and keep us posted!

As far as factory ammo goes I've had really good luck with the Hornady Match 168 hpbt, 168 amax, and 178 hpbt. Federal Gold Medal Match 168's shot well too but is quite a bit slower than the Hornady offerings.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.