Savage 112 barrel question (action length?)

AJ,
I dont know if this is what your interested in, but since I was out getting some trigger time with my 12 in .308 I decided to measure the longest COL that could be ejected. The closest I can figure is 3.13 which is around .17 or so shorter than SAMMI length for a 6.5x284. It appears that a relief could be milled into the front of the ejection port that could give you more length to eject longer rounds.(kinda like on a stiller predator) I dont know how much you could gain by shortening the bolt stop, but it appears that you could gain enough with that relief cut and shortening the bolt stop to eject a sammi length 284 based round.( I dont know how feasible that relief cut would be, but I have seen rem 700s with that same modicication)

Thanks Eddybo, thats exactly what I was looking for.

AJ

savage stock stiffen

Chris,

I just bought a 12fvss in 300WSM (26" fluted barrel). (gun broker)

I've always wanted to play with the WSM and the .30 will be a good one to play with. I figure I'll stiffen up the stock, lighten up the trigger and attempt to wear the barrel out this winter/spring.

Then I'll re-barrel with something that will really stand up to a lot of shooting (maybe even a straight old 308 Win).

I'll get a tactical stock to make it feel a bit like my 338AM from a feel perspective and be able to get into 'shooting shape' again.

Its amazing how important trigger time is, and I purchased this rifle with that in mind. I got the 12, because the accu-trigger on the varmint is supposed to go down to 1 1/2 lbs.

Thanks for the info, now I just need to find some good articles on what it takes to swap calibers (bolt heads/barrels).

Thanks again,

AJ

If you are planning on stiffening a savage plastic stock, don't bother. I (and many others) tried the same thing out of boredom, bedded a 3/8" piece of cold rolled steel square stock in the forearm. The stock flex is back in the action area, inmho it is unfixable. That being said the tupperware stock is capable of very fine accuracy.
I would try to keep caliber swapping in the same cartrige family, ie wsms for wsms, ultra mag for ultra mag, 243 for 308 etc. Caliber swaps such as 223 to 308 are definatly doable but if you are changing boltheads chances are your magazine won't work so you'll be in single shot territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.