Savage 111FCNS 30-06 Accuracy

freese

I just bought a Savage 111FCNS 30-06 and mounted a Leupold Mark 4 LRT 3.5-14x50 scope on it using Warne Maxima rings and base. How far out can I reasonably expect to be able to shoot sub-MOA groups once I find the best matched cartridge set up? I'm hoping for at least 500 yards, preferably further. Lastly, any recommendations on upgrades to the rifle for better accuracy? This is my first Savage and I bought it mainly based on the recommendations of other shooters and information on this forum.

That's the accu stock with the bottom dumping mag, right?
22 inch barrel? I have what started as the fnxp I guess, shot it that wat for a couple years. Found it to have quite a kick, so I put on a laminate stock, varmint barrel, and beefy lug, glass bedded and a little trigger work.
in original format, I shot MOA to 400, just had no opportuniyt to shoot further, but I'd suspect that it would stay the same to 1000.
With the upgrades, it Shoots 1/2 Moa, if I'm good. Takes time to get in the zone, if you've tried that.
Mine likes 165 grain bullets best, though I picked up some berger 168's to try when I have some range time.
Have fun!

I have a FCNS model 111 in 7RM. I put a McGowan 26" stainless varmint barrel on it. I also have NF ultralight rings, one piece 20MOA base, and a NF NXS 5.5-22X56 on top of it. I can shoot 1/2MOA and less. The recoil is not bad at all due to the extra weight the barrel and scope have added. Shooting at 1033 yards was relatively easy to get MOA. I'm sure that if the wind was calm I could have done better. I think you would really be pleased with the gun if you put a match barrel on it.

The 111 FCNS is a DBM accustock, get the trigger between 1.5-2lbs and for now you will not need a match barrel, savage barrels are about the most accurate factory barrels. You can launch a 168grn Nosler BT .490 bc at about 2900fps with 58-59grns H4350 and can take whitetail to 1k if you can shoot 1k with a 308 win then there is obviously no reason that you can't with a 200fps advantage. That 3.5-14 Leupold will limit you, no offense but for the money you could have had a much better more powerful Sightron SIII.

I took the rifle shooting last weekend. After breaking in the barrel, I started to work on grouping and accuracy. At 200 yds in a full value left to right cross wind using Hornady Superformance 165gr SSTs, I was getting right around 1-MOA accuracy. The best 3-shot group was measured at 0.51". I'm going to try again this weekend and hopefully push back to 500 yds and see where things stand. I may try some Black Hills ammo this time.
Any suggestions on getting some initial gunsmithing done to improve accuracy? Kinda leaning toward getting the barrel crowned and action bedded. I'd appreciate some input.

Bedding the barrel should help, i like triggers @ 2 lbs or a little less. But if the gun is new is there any reason to get the barrel recrowned ? Mine shoots the 168 bt nosler in front of h4350 58.5
but for the long stuff i have a custom that shoots .750 bc 270 bullets. I know there is not a 30 caliber to bring the bc much above .500 unless you are shooting 200 grainers might need a faster twist for that but the 165 & 168 bullets seem to be ideal for the 30 06

3 things, factory barrel has a rolled crown, so yes a 15* target crown may help. 2 that rifle has an aluminum bedding skeleton from palmswell to front swivel, I doubt you will see any change by glassing it. 3 it has a 1:10 twist it will stabilize a 210 berger but does not have the *** to push it over 2500fps, for higher bcs you may want to try some 185grn berger vlds, but you could use 2-3" more barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.