Savage 111 vs Weatherby Vanguard

Been trying to buy a Savage LRH (111) in 6.5 -284 since January. My dealer has had no success. I even called Savage but did not get a straight answer. I have bought dies, brass, scope, mounts, etc. for this project and was planning on using it this fall for a West KY Whitetail hunt. Anybody seen these this year in that caliber. If so, how has it worked out for you. Thanks in advance. Roadking (MI).

I ordered Mine (25-06) from Cabelas and it took 2 wks. Guy on another site Dougsmessageboards.com just recieved his 6.5x284 about a week ago. Look in the modern rifle forum on that site and ask him how long it took. Thinking his name was cfvickers.

My local Sportsman's Warehouse just got a 111 LRH in, but it is in .308. I was able to handle it and it felt pretty dang good. The check piece was nice and the barrel was fairly heavy, not a sendero but much heavier than a sporter weight. As slow as they are making the "regular" calibers, it may be a while before the 6.5 is readily available. BTW the price tag was a very reasonable $779.00. Probably a good thing it wasn't a 6.5x284 or I may have been forced to buy it!

$779???? Reasonable? For a factory rifle?

I barely have more than that in my Edge.

I got my LRH 6.5-284 about three weeks ago, I ordered it in January, however they didn't release the 6.5-284 until late april/early may. It was in in late may. Gave 840 for it out the door. Cheap, no, but it is a superior gun to your Edge, if you are talking about the Savage Edge. The accustock is amazing, the muzzle break is outstanding. And I have 15 loads and counting that shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. One shoots 1/2 inch at 175 yards. or one of the three I tried. the other two were 1 inch or less at that distance. I recommend it, it was worth the wait and every dime. You shouldn't be waiting too long now for one if you order it. I ordered it as soon as the distributor would allow the dealer to order it.

I assume you were actually talking about a .338 Edge? In that case it has far more recoil too. But I can definitely see a use for it Like I said, it isn't cheap but man it is worth it. There are 4 custom rifles in my safe that will not shoot as well as this thing will.

I assume you were actually talking about a .338 Edge? In that case it has far more recoil too. But I can definitely see a use for it Like I said, it isn't cheap but man it is worth it. There are 4 custom rifles in my safe that will not shoot as well as this thing will.

I don't know about more recoil. My 32" #7 barrel with the brake tames the recoil pretty well. I would bet that mines does weigh a bunch more, but long range guns don't need to be that light.

I bet your rifle does shoot. I've had many Savages and they all shot well. I only had a cheap 308 that didn't shoot good. So I swapped the barrel off and gave it away.

The biggest problem with the Savage LRH is that they put the bolt on the wrong side of every single one of them.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.