Savage 111 vs Weatherby Vanguard

zjfty9

Just wondering what opinions are about these rifles. I'm looking at getting one for mostly mid-range hunting, but occasional long range shooting. I was looking at the new Savage 111 with the accustock. I've never owned a Savage before, but know they are good rifles. I was also looking at the Weatherby Vanguard with the regular synthetic stock, or maybe sub moa model (was trying to decide if it was work the extra $). Opinions and experience, anything would be appreciated. Not sure which caliber yet.

After a little more looking around I can see that most people lean toward the Savage. Which I was starting too after reading more articles on both. Do you guys think the accustock is the way to go, or laminate stock?

I shoot both a Savage and a Vanguard. The Savage is pre Accustock so I really don't have much of an opinion on the Accustock other than it couldn't hurt.
Both rifles need a stock change in my opinion, unless it's the Sub MOA. If I had a Savage 111 and a Sub MOA setting in front of me I would be torn, it would get down to which one had the longer magazine so I could seat bullets out and which one just fit. I'm a huge Savage fan because I like to tinker but I may just go with the Sub MOA. Hard decision, easy solution, buy both:D:D

Which Savage 111 are you talking about? I have the 111 long range hunter 25-06. My buddy has the Vangard 243 and is not happy with it. Savage is U.S. Vangard is Japan.

I was looking at the 111FCNS. Just the 22" barrel model. I was leaning toward a 25-06. I really like that caliber for deer hunting. I don't really like the injection molded stock, but the accustock seems like it would be a lot stiffer than just a normal injection molded. With the price difference between the 111 and the vanguard sub moa, I could put a nice stock on the 111 and still be cheaper. I think I would be happy with both guns, but feel like the Savage has the edge currently.

I don't really like the injection molded stock, but the accustock seems like it would be a lot stiffer than just a normal injection molded. With the price difference between the 111 and the vanguard sub moa, I could put a nice stock on the 111 and still be cheaper.
I have that model and the accustock is not cheap at all. I really like it and have no desire to upgrade. The aluminum bedding block makes it super rigid - there's no flexing at all.

I have that model and the accustock is not cheap at all. I really like it and have no desire to upgrade. The aluminum bedding block makes it super rigid - there's no flexing at all.

It looked like it would stiffen the stock up a lot. Savage is always coming up with something good.

Just had another thought. I know the vanguard is made by Howa, and I can get a Howa barreled action and put a good stock on it at a good price. I have use Howa rifles before and been impressed with them. Their triggers are more adjustable than the vanguard ( have safety feature that only allows some adjustment). Just running over my options. I like the Howa idea and the Savage.

You could also get a cheap Stevens 200 and a B&C or Stockade stock and still be cheaper than the accustock model or the Howa/Vanguard.

Along those lines, if you much of a tinkering type buy yourself a Savage action and get a custom pre-fit barrel and bed it all in a good stock!
The of the shelf is good but man, you'll want to take it to the next level before you know it you might as well start there.gun)

Along those lines, if you much of a tinkering type buy yourself a Savage action and get a custom pre-fit barrel and bed it all in a good stock!
The of the shelf is good but man, you'll want to take it to the next level before you know it you might as well start there.gun)

Then it's all over. You'll be completely taken over by the disease. That's how I ended up with this one. Started as a $300 left hand 308win.:D:D:D

S8001327.jpg

I would like to start with just an action and build my own, but I'm not going to have the time to right now. I'll do some more looking though. That would be a lot of fun and more meaningful that just a stock rifle. I need to do a little more homework.

Been trying to buy a Savage LRH (111) in 6.5 -284 since January. My dealer has had no success. I even called Savage but did not get a straight answer. I have bought dies, brass, scope, mounts, etc. for this project and was planning on using it this fall for a West KY Whitetail hunt. Anybody seen these this year in that caliber. If so, how has it worked out for you. Thanks in advance. Roadking (MI).

Been trying to buy a Savage LRH (111) in 6.5 -284 since January. My dealer has had no success. I even called Savage but did not get a straight answer. I have bought dies, brass, scope, mounts, etc. for this project and was planning on using it this fall for a West KY Whitetail hunt. Anybody seen these this year in that caliber. If so, how has it worked out for you. Thanks in advance. Roadking (MI).

My local Sportsman's Warehouse just got a 111 LRH in, but it is in .308. I was able to handle it and it felt pretty dang good. The check piece was nice and the barrel was fairly heavy, not a sendero but much heavier than a sporter weight. As slow as they are making the "regular" calibers, it may be a while before the 6.5 is readily available. BTW the price tag was a very reasonable $779.00. Probably a good thing it wasn't a 6.5x284 or I may have been forced to buy it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.