SAVAGE 111 25-06 distance

tucson

I was showing my father my rem. model 700 30-06 adl ive been putting some coin into...Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 dead hold bdc..synthetic stock...told him I wanted to build a 7mm for long range...anyway...he gave me a savage 111 25-06....hes only fired a few times...won it at a mule deer foundation banquet...I would like to know what kind of upgrade recommendations for this rifle there would be and what kind of range i could expect being a 25 -06...or leave it alone and buy the 7mm too...lol..thanks...new to long range ideals and getting into it...ill be hunting mostly deer with it...thanks

Last edited:
Actually it depends more on you, obviously there are bullets in 28 cal that exceed a .7 bc which you won't find in a 25 cal so with that said a 7mm is better at all ranges but would I shoot a deer at 600 yrds with a 25-06? Yes I would, but like I said it depends more on you. If you are in the market for a new rifle there are lots of better choices than a 7mm rem mag not that its bad, just a little out dated.

im all open to suggestions...thats why im here.....a 250 yard shot was a great shot when i used to hunt...but divorce banned me from hunting with my boys 15 years ago....and that took it all from me....anyway....boys are grown...1 collecting firearms of his own...the youngest now lives with me and goes to boot camp sept 13....we started shooting again...archery,shotguns and rifle...gonna start hunting again..my first love....anyway...intrigued by long range and stepping up as i can....I cant spend a lot of cash all at once but i can plug away at something till its right...spending wise...in other words...i cant afford 2000 out of the gate.....child support and lawyers still hammering me....no i dont owe,,,,just need them to quit pulling money out of my checks ...was done since april....it basically sucks....lol anyway...i enjoy this site and am eager to learn...please inform me whats out there

I agree with geargrinder. The Savage is such a versatile platform that its hard to beat. I put together a couple Savages on my own, they shoot very well. You might want to take a look at Stockade Stocks. He carries several upgrades in stocks and other equipment for Savage rifles. He has many different styles with a money saver option. This option gives you a stock that just requires cosmetic finishing. The one stock I helped with required very little work to get it ready for paint. I have one of his bolt handles and lift kits. Both are nice upgrades. It's nice being able to change calibers on one action and the fact that you can do it on your own is just an added bonus.

Tank

Thanks ....I am currently browsing for 111 barrels/tools/stocks....dont see a whole lot...but i will keep looking... see a whole lot for the 110.....and i dont know what sub model this rifle is or year..its older...no accu trigger ......lol....with all my remingtons and a couple winchesters ive had no problems digging up info myself so i feel a little embarrassed Im asking, but I truly am appreciative for the info.

I guess I should tell you I am hunting whitetail this year, and my buddy is shooting a 300 winmag...he shoots 800-1000 yards out...reloads his own ammunition......and id like to be able to shoot same range and put the deer down with one shot....possibly elk next year.....well thanks...headed out to shoot my bow

When looking for parts, you want pre-accutrigger and 110 model. That will fit all of your 111 needs. You probably use a small shank barrel (Dia. 1.055" @ barrel nut). Large shank are manly for the magnum calibers. Wheeler engineering make a nice Nut Wrench and action wrench. With the two tools you can tear apart any any Savage/Stevens with the slotted barrel nuts. Midway has Shilen barrels for sale. They are pretty good barrels from what I hear. Another place to get a barrel is Sin-arms.com. He is a smith on this sight. He has barrels through Lothar Walther (which I use in my .308). They are really nice barrels and very accurate. Mine shoots consistently .25-.4 MOA at any distance when I do my job.

Tank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.