Savage 110ba 338 lapua problems

Sure, !00 yards. It was the 110BAs first trip to the range and I was sighting it in with a 55x NF. The propose of the post was to share that once fired & reloaded Hornady brass will fire & eject from both of my .338 LM rifles. I have been lucky enough to find once fired brass from other Savage shooters. I test each piece in the chamber of my gun & if it fits without extra effort closing the bolt, I neck size with a Redding Type S - Neck Bushing Die. If it will not chamber, I use a Type S - Full Bushing Die.

I was able to get back to the range this weekend to put a few more rounds through the 110BA. This time on the 300 yard range. I recently picked up a MagnetoSpeed V3, which needed only slight modification to fit over the 110BA's muzzle brake. I was using once and twice fired Hornady brass, 250gr. SMK with 96gr. of Retumbo @ 3000 fps. No stuck cases. The gun will make 1/2 MOA groups when I let it do its job. I'm the only thing standing in its way.

Instead of fiddling around with SAMMI sized dies, take a couple once fired rounds (3) that eject fine and have John Whidden custom build you a die. Problem solved.

I have a Savage 111 lrh in 338 Lapua, and had the same problem with sticking brass. I did a little work on the extractor so that it would get a better grip on the rim. I also found an article on Bergers web sit that talked about nose slump, and how it increased chamber pressures. I have three Savage extractors for the lapua, and noticed that the detents on all three are different.

I know im jumping in late on this subj. but i have been wrangling with my 110 ba
for about a year now. Its .3-.4 moa out to 850 yds and awesome to shoot or I would have just got rid of it already. I have had extraction problems from the start.
(i bought it w/ 6 rds through it) It started with about 1/10 failure and just kept getting worse till around 6/10 failed to extract. Im reloading using nosler,PPU and Lapua brass. sent it back to savage 4 months ago. they polished chamber, checked head space, replaced extractor on bolt etc. It cycled through the 1st 40 or
so w/ no problem then started failing again (yesterday 4/10 failure) I have never shot factory ammo through it and Im starting to think Im doing something wrong loading. heres my load: 285 gr A-MAX 88.5 gr RETUMBO .020 short of lands(which makes COAL way longer than saami specs. I load it long like this because it was not a sub moa gun until i started experimenting with the 'jump'.) It did fail to extract when i was loading shorter. Any help would be much appreciated.
The Lapua brass fix that I read so much about was just a bandaid for me.
Long time reader..1st time poster..thanks to all for all the great info ive gleened.
Xaddo

I was able to make progress with 110 BA last weekend. I replaced the Nightforce 55x with a 12-42 x 56 NXS. With the 30 MOA rail from Farrell and the scope bottomed out, it's zeroed at 300 yards. The last item I need is a new set of rings from Farrell, which I have on order. My best 5 shot group was about .38 MOA with 300gr. SMK, 97gr. RL-33, Hornady once fired cases & .02" jump.

I know im jumping in late on this subj. but i have been wrangling with my 110 ba
for about a year now. Its .3-.4 moa out to 850 yds and awesome to shoot or I would have just got rid of it already. I have had extraction problems from the start.
(i bought it w/ 6 rds through it) It started with about 1/10 failure and just kept getting worse till around 6/10 failed to extract. Im reloading using nosler,PPU and Lapua brass. sent it back to savage 4 months ago. they polished chamber, checked head space, replaced extractor on bolt etc. It cycled through the 1st 40 or
so w/ no problem then started failing again (yesterday 4/10 failure) I have never shot factory ammo through it and Im starting to think Im doing something wrong loading. heres my load: 285 gr A-MAX 88.5 gr RETUMBO .020 short of lands(which makes COAL way longer than saami specs. I load it long like this because it was not a sub moa gun until i started experimenting with the 'jump'.) It did fail to extract when i was loading shorter. Any help would be much appreciated.
The Lapua brass fix that I read so much about was just a bandaid for me.
Long time reader..1st time poster..thanks to all for all the great info ive gleened.
Xaddo
I have a Savage High Country in .300 Win Mag. that was purchased New in September of 2020. After 20 rounds I have been experiencing an extractor problem. So much so that I had to use a rubber mallet on the bolt to remove my fired cases.
After an internet search I found the culprit.

The problem a weak extractor.

I purchased a new HD extractor with over size ball. (standard diameter is .125" diameter while the replacement is .140 "diameter.
This is a known issue for Savage 110 actions and can easily be cured for around twenty dollars plus shipping.
FYI: I found a replacement extractor at Kinney Shooting Supply as they are the only ones that still have this item in stock.( their are other companies that make a HD extractor set but all of them except Kinney as of this date are out of stock.
Hope that this helps you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.