Savage 110? -- Good starter?

JAMMAN

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the consensus on the Savage 110 was for a beginner med range gun was? I like .308 and am going to start there. Later I'll buy a .300WinMag after I work on form and get this all under the belt (plus have a beefier elk gun).

Is this a good starter? If so, what does it go for in your area? If not this one, which one? I do want to be able to do some limited hauling of it in the woods, but will set up a table at my stand so I can take 500yds or so this season on deer.

Thanks in advance!

sounds like a descent place to start to me. There are a lot of posts talking about the accuracy that is coming from factory savages. If you're lucky the one you pick off the shelf will be too. I personally don't have a .308, but wouldn't run from using one for deer sized game at all. Good luck.

If I have to shoot it, I will never own another factory gun that is not a Savage. I've sold too many of these things and hear/see the results people are getting. I've also shot a few /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

If your going w/the .308, look @ there law enforcement series.

I\'m with you now!

I woke up in the middle of the night and started printing off the pages of the different LE series and the varmint series. I have to say that some of those LE series are nice.

So, let's get away from the 110, as I've finally gotten my head together and realize that the 1 in front shows it's a long action and I'm looking for short.

So, let's look at the Model 10FP with 24" barrel in SS (want to be in the weather and not care) or the Model 10FP-LE2 that has the 26" barrel. Why one of those as opposed to the Model 12FVSS with it's 26" barrel?

Am I a little too worried to get a 26" barrel? Is it going to matter that much?

Thanks!

Re: I\'m with you now!

Savage rifles are a great place to start. The blind mag, plastic stock (FP I think) is a great rifle. Should come in a 26" blued heavy barrel and accutrigger. I prefer the 223 for beginners as it just is so much easier to shoot compared to a 308. The 1 in 9 twist will allow you to use 75gr Amax, 77gr MK which is plenty all the way to 1000yds. Ballistically identical to the 308 so why put up with the abuse.

biggest plus of the 223, more shots before the barrel gets hot. I hate waiting for barrels to cool.

Just remember to bed the action properly. It can be done even in those plastic stocks. hog out the foreend so that there is absolutely no way for the barrel to hit the stock.

With proper loading, little reason to not get 1/2 MOA or better. Best value on the market today.

Also, consider the Stevens 200. Same rifle just with the orig trigger. Swap out or tune and you have an ever cheaper rifle.

Jerry

You should know that changing barrels/magazine boxes, etc on a Savage takes just a few minutes so you don't need to buy another gun down the road, just rebarrel yours and keep your stock, mods, scope w mounts. What I'm getting at here is that if you eventually want a 300 WM you might get that now and rebarrel to .308 just like Savage used to do with the older 110s. I'll bet you can find a .308 take off barrel for around a hundred bucks, maybe less. If you really want a short action then make sure to get a 300 WSM version for the CRF, that one can be switched to .308 also if you don't want to load down the WSM.

I have a 110FP in 25-06. You're saying all I have to do to get a 300 WM or a 338 WM is to buy a new barrel instead of the whole gun? That would be great!! Would it take a lot of work to transfer from the 25-06 to the 338 WM?

A friend of mine recently bought the 110 in 300 winmag (no!, I did'nt have anything to do with his caliber choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) It seems any thing we run through it will shoot(factory ammo that is) He cant wait to put together some handloads to find out how good it can shoot.I dont think anyone can go wrong with Savage .
Jim B.

My brother just bought a savage 116 in 270 winchester and we recently squeezed a 3.25" group at 250 yards with 130 factory loads. These guns may be a bit on the homely side but they arent supposed to win beauty pageants, savages are becoming well known for their out of box accuracy. Let us know how it shoots when you get out to the range.

Good Shooting!

Certainly nothing wrong with either the .308 or a Savage. Would probably make an excellent "first" rifle, some however feel the recoil is too much for a beginner. Recoil from a .308 has never been an issue with me. I owned a Savage 110 "J" series in .308 once and it shot extremely well. Sub half inch @ 100yds with tailored handloads. A friend needed/wanted it worse than I did though. My next .30 cal rifle was a .300WMag Sendero, WOW! what a difference. Performance wise it's like comparing a Mustang to a Fiesta. Both have their places I guess.
As for Savage rifles, most shoot extremely well right outta the box. The factory trigger used to be the rifle's only pitfall. That has changed with the AccuTrigger. Personally I have always opted for the aftermarket trigger on the Savages that I have owned. I currently own a FP110 in .223 (long action receiver for short action cartridge). It has upheld the Savage accuracy tradition. It has the 1-9" twist but shoots the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip very well. Myself and two other friends have shot 3-shot groups in the .13-.16" range with this rifle using my handloads. It shoots the 69gr SMK into quarter inch groups @ 100yds. I haven't tried anything heavier. Lately it's been sitting in the gun cabinet awaiting new glass. Good starter? - you bet, just be ready to hit the ground running! JohnnyK.

P.S. Jerry Teo - can you email me on how you bedded those Savage "tupperware" stocks and what you used? I would really appreciate it. My email is: "[email protected]"

You can't go wrong with a Savage. I have two savages, a 10fp in 308 and a 116 fss in 7stw, both average around 1/2" groups at 100 yards with handloads (the 10fp is usually closer to 1/3"). the 10fp really likes 175 matchkings over 45 grains of varget. right out of the box the 10fp has good 1000 yard capabilitiy. I have shot several 7" groups at this range. If you can't afford or don't want to buy a custom rifle buy a savage.

[ QUOTE ]
My next .30 cal rifle was a .300WMag Sendero, WOW! what a difference. Performance wise it's like comparing a Mustang to a Fiesta.

Myself and two other friends have shot 3-shot groups in the .13-.16" range with this rifle using my handloads. It shoots the 69gr SMK into quarter inch groups @ 100yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume the Savage is the Mustang then? I'd originaly thought you meant the Savage was the Fiesta so I was going to ask you just how small that Sendero groups. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.