Savage 110 fcp 338 lapua magazine issues

Dlewis82nd

So my ffl just sent me an email of my lapua! I told him to order it when they came available a couple months ago. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan with about 9 months to go so I have some time to get everything together and not rush to shoot it. My plans are h1000 with lapua brass and either berger 300 hybrids or 300 vlds. If anyone can give me any insight on a load like this and if they were able to fit them down in the mag. Knowing I have that baby sitting back waiting on me is going to make this 9 months drag by that much more.

It takes and Accuracy Systems International magazine and the magazine will limit the COAL. Incidentally, I'd order a spare magazine with the firearm. A bit hard to get and they retail for around 100 bucks each.

If you decide to run your COAL out to set the pill at the lands (as some owners do), you'll have to single feed (with the magazine in place).

I own one btw.

Savage has been acquired bythe same company that owns RCBS and Hodgon anomg others btw. Not sure how that will impact their firearm offerings in the future.

thank you for your knowledge! I guess i will let the groups decide how im going to load her.

If you dont mind me asking, which load do you shoot and what kind of groups are you getting?

250 SGK's and MK's in Lapua Brass with 92 grains of H1000. I' experimented with different OAL's and settled with 0.5 over sammi length. At 200 yards it prints basically one large hole and penetrates 1/4" steel plate (MK's) nicely.

Just a conversation piece for me. It's absurdly expensive to shoot, even handloading and getting more expensive all the time.

I'll stick with my 308 for hunting.

i might take it to colorado and woming for elk and muleys but i doubt if i use it for a whitetail gun. but i am going to shoot the hell out of her!

Dlewis,

Sounds like you got your questions answered. Welcome to LRH. Come back home to us safe and sound. Thanks for your service.

Thats a relative term for any 338 because barrel life is a finite thing, whereas a with a 308, barrel life is usually more than one generation..

Simply stated, about 2000 down the tube and it's shot.

250 SGK's and MK's in Lapua Brass with 92 grains of H1000. I' experimented with different OAL's and settled with 0.5 over sammi length. At 200 yards it prints basically one large hole and penetrates 1/4" steel plate (MK's) nicely.

Just a conversation piece for me. It's absurdly expensive to shoot, even handloading and getting more expensive all the time.

I'll stick with my 308 for hunting.

No offense Sir but I have able to shoot the savage 338 lap fairly cheap.

42 cents - 300 grain SMK from Sierra bullet outlet
if you have a brother that lives there:D
26 cents - 93 grains RL 33, 8 pound keg
4 cents - primer
6 cents - brass.
if you find once fired Lapua brass for $1.50 and reload it 25 times.
I have gotten over 15 on lapua brass easy so that would be 10 cents.

Total is around 78 cents. Cheaper for me to reload my 338 than it is to buy a box of 7 mag at the local gas station.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.