savage 110 .243 to 7mm or .300 wsm?

bellboy

I've got a left-handed savage 110 chambered in .243. I'm definetely a newbie, and want any info you guys could give me. I was reading about the .243 savage to a .300 wsm and because it was a short action it would make it impossible to have the rifle stay as a repeater. I guess my question is, beacause my savage is a 110 doesn't that mean its a long action. Is that possible to have a savage .243 long action. if that is that case, that i do have a long action .243 would that make it easier to turn it into the wsm? also any other lefties out there know what kind of options i have as far as a stock goes. thanks, any info will help.
-jake

All 110's are long actions. The blind mag will be shorter for short action cartridges. Savage used to only make long actions, so you'll find short action cartridges like 243 on long action rifles.

To switch to WSM will require you to change the bolt face.

oh ok thanx. and i can get the mag changed out easily as well? will i be limited to the push feed type of bolt face causing loading problems with the wsm case or should it be fine?

I don't think changing the mag length would be easy at all. You'd have to cut the bottom of the action larger. I would look for a different action.

oh ya i didn't think bout that. thanx for the info. i'm really not partial to what cartridge i choose, cuz i have no experience in the long range shooting. i want something that has enough down range energy for elk that i can also shoot at the range with out a whole lot of shoulder fatigue. maybe someone has a suggestion

Ramline and sharpshooter make ( or made ) LH replacement savage stocks.

Also, a 30-06 or 338-06 would be a simple and low cost replacement barrel.

thanx for that link, had a lot of good information. is there and list of bullets weights and bc for various calibers. and maybe case specs and powder capacities, maybe that could help for. or do i have to figure that stuff out with a ballistics program and for just looking stuff up online?

Most bullet makers display their bullet info online. Here's one for Berger...

Berger Bullets

For specs on cartridges, including MV's for bullets of different weights, get a reloading manual. There is some good reloading info online as well.

Not too long ago I looked at converting a Savage 10 (short action) in 308 to a 300 WSM. I determined that along with the magazine & follower, I would need to change the bolt head and baffle over to the CRF version. Savage puts the ejector for this in a little cut in the receiver (I guess there's no room for it in the bolt face when you go from PF to CRF), so I lined up a smith to do the work.

Next issue will be the barrel. Except for some early production runs, the savage 300WSMs are in what's called a "Large Shank" - that's the size of the part of the barrel that screws into the action. However, your action will most very likely be a "Small Shank". You will probably have a hard time finding the barrel, so you will have to look at a custom barrel.

Well, net is by the time I did the math, I was about $200 or so short of just buying a new rifle. New savages go for between $450 and $600 for a hunting gun. So that't what I did - just bought a new one, savage had already figured out the details ;)

Dunno if you would have the same problem converting to a 7mm.

Check out www.savageshooters.com. You might have to join to get to the answers you want (like $12/yr), but all the info is there. Lots of handy reference posts.

thnx for the info. i'm determined t find out as much as i can before i spend any money so i can be confindent that it was money well spent. in the mean time i'll keep shooting my factory rifles practicing up.

They're both about the best in anything to do with Savages. Plus they both are making stocks for the new centerfeeds and the precision actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.